SMF plugin features

Discussion in 'Pre-Sales Questions' started by djsound, Feb 22, 2008.

1. djsound

djsound New Member

I've been considering amember for a new project here soon, I've worked with several sites that use amember currently, it has most of the features I need.

The selling question is, what exactly does the SMF plugin do? Can I sell different memberships as membergroups in the forum and will the permissions work right? Or does the script just allow access to the forum once a membership is bought?

Thanks,
    -Ryan
  2. humantorpedo

humantorpedo New Member

Here's how it works when you install it. You have members in amember and when they sign up they also get a memebrship in the forum (SMF) according to what their membership level gives them.

But currently, when someone logs into amember, they are not also logged into the forum. It's kind of a pain but I have not found people able to do this. It means that members have to login to the forum AGAIN after being already being logged into the site.
  3. jimjwright

jimjwright New Member

Well I don't agree with the other reply that you got. I'm not saying that he is wrong because I had initial issues with SMF plugin also but I entered a support ticket and the problem was resolved in 1 day.

Using SMF plug-in allows for single-sign on.

When someone joins thru Amember you can specify what membership groups to assign them in SMF. So amember not only adds a user to the Amember database but it will also populate the SMF database with user/password and membership groups.

Then in SMF you assign boards that you want to that membership group to only allow those users access to those boards.

When you login into amember it will also log you into SMF. If this doesn't work then something is configured wrong or you have a wrong version of the SMF plugin for the versionof SMF you using.

I'm using amember with SMF 1.1.4 and it works correctly when configured correctly.

Jimmy
  4. ianternet

ianternet aMember Pro Customer

hmmm interesting is the plugin updated to work with the new version of simple machine forum? (SMF)? I was about to purchase until I saw this thread