Signup Process

Discussion in 'Customization & add-ons' started by john_h, Aug 26, 2010.

1. john_h

john_h New Member

Hi,

Is it possible to split the signup page into 2 or 3 pages? I know the signup page should be only one page to increase conversion but I'd really like the signup page split into 2 or 3.

Thanks.
  2. alex

alex aMember Pro Customer Staff Member

Unfortunately, it current version of aMember that is impossible.
  3. skippybosco

skippybosco CGI-Central Partner Staff Member

@John_h: Can you go into a bit more detail on how you would like the signup page split (ie. what would be contained on each page?)
  4. john_h

john_h New Member

@skippybosco, the first page will have the normal fields, first and last name, login name, email, password and possibly an upload field, while the second page will mostly have fields created using the additional fields function.

additional question, is it possible to have 2 different signup pages, with each page having different fields?
  5. davidm1

davidm1 aMember User & Partner

Well, you could use something like aweber on the front, then come back to the amember signup page prefilling some of the variables, or keeping the prefilled ones hidden.

David
  6. miso

miso aMember Pro Customer

Anything is possible... especially when you introduce jQuery to make it look like the pages are being flipped and such.

Do the pages actually need to load and such, or do you just want the first screen to show personal info, second screen to show additional fields, etc?

Something like this:

http://www.sportsexec.net/

(click on the links on the bottom to get to the next screen)

That's a really rough example though (as it's got this really weird animation from one screen to another, but hey, does the trick)...
  7. john_h

john_h New Member

Thanks for the input davidm1, miso.

Can you lead me to a code or maybe show me a sample code that would do this. Nifty jQuery stuff there but pages loading would be alright.

@davidm1, will amember be able to store the prefilled custom data? how?

Thanks.
  8. erwinvdb

erwinvdb aMember Pro Customer

Another option would be to create a multi-page form and pass the values on to aMember.
    You could use FormTools for that.
  9. davidm1

It will after its submitted- its the same signup page- just the prefilled fields arent shown.

I like the aweber 1st option as you are capturing their email. By splitting this up, you will get a lot of abandoned carts- so at least you have their email to get em to come back.

David
  10. john_h

john_h New Member

Thanks for all the input.

What I was wondering is how would amember store those additional prefilled data? Should I create additional fields in the database?
  11. davidm1

What additional fields are you storing?

David
  12. bryceyoung

bryceyoung aMember Pro Customer

13. alex

alex aMember Pro Customer Staff Member

14. john_h

john_h New Member

@davidm1, some are text, some dates and maybe one image.

here's what I'm trying to achieve:
    - split the signup page to 3 or 4 pages
    - have extra fields (text, datess, image)
    - user can upload or select an icon (like an avatar) on the signup.

The interface wouldn't really be a problem, it's the functionality I'm in need of help with.
    - like how do I pass info from page 1 to page 2?
    - how do I store these additional fields into the DB? (should I create custom fields for each so I won't have to worry about adding the fields in the DB?)

Another problem is have a free signup form that is totally different (including the fields asked) from the above.

Anyone who can whip up some instructions, inputs or sample code will be greatly, greatly appreciated.