Sign in as guest

Discussion in 'Setting-up protection' started by itsrich, Apr 1, 2015.

1. itsrich

itsrich Member

Hello all,

I have Xenforo integration and I would like to know how to allow guest access using aMember sign up?

I'm not sure how to set it up so that people can sign up for free and have access, but their permissions will be limited via the xenforo user groups.

How do I get their account to return a guest account when their paid subscription expires? Because as far as I can see, they will not actually have access to the site (protected folder) when their sub expires. They can log in to their amember account, but they won't actually have access to the site (protected folder).

It's simple what I want, I just need help on how to set up in the amember cp.

Basically,

Guest - assigned to "unconfirmed", which will be a lifetime account because it's free.
    Paid subscription - assigned to "registered", duration depends on sub that is purchased.

Once the sub has expired I need them to be returned to Guest access. I can't see how to do that when...

"Default Level
    default level - user reset to this access level
    if no active subscriptions exists
    (for example all subscriptions expired)"

...because the guest account will still be active, which is lifetime, so they will not be returned to the default level in the first place, so although their sub has expired, they will still have access through the guest access and they will remain in the "registered" group, because ALL their subscriptions wouldn't have expired.

Also, inside xenforo, members will be working their way through a user group title ladder, so......if they get returned to default level, and then pay for a sub again, so they regain the other group permissions that they have gained access to with their previous sub?

I'm really confused on this, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Richard
  2. alexander

alexander Administrator Staff Member

Richard,
    Here is how you can do this:
    1. Create free product in aMember and route all users to signup for this product first. (something like site registration).
    2. Create paid product.
    In aMember CP -> Protect Content -> Integrations assign free product to "unconfirmed" group in xenforo
    paid product to "Registered" group.
    Set default level to unconfirmed.
    So, if user have free product and expired paid product, or just expired product, his level will be downgraded to "unconfirmed" in xenforo.
  3. itsrich

itsrich Member

Hello @alexander,

Thank you for your reply.

Here's what I think I am going to do because XenForo are quite anal about all members having "Registered" as primary.

Create a free product: Lifetime subscription access, assigned to "Registered" with very limited permissions (basically just access to view the site, but no interaction).

Make paid products available to "Registered" members only by disallowing ordering unless member has "free product"

Paid Product eg: 1 Month subscription assigned to "Silver" with more permissions.

aMember Group Priority order : Registered
    Gold
    Silver
    etc
    This way all members have "Registered" as primary (keeps XenForo happy)

Then aMember will assign paid subscriptions as secondary groups until the subscription expires, then the member will just return to having "Registered" as primary and no secondary group.

Is that correct? I was thinking of doing it this way because the only thing I was thinking about when it comes to the "default level", is that the free product will be a lifetime subscription, although they will only have very limited permissions, it will still count as an active subscription, right? So even when the paid sub expires, they will still have an active sub which will prevent the "default level" being reset?

Thank you

Richard
  4. itsrich

itsrich Member

Hello,

Right, I had a think about it and here's what I settled on...

Products...

Screen Shot 2015-04-03 at 15.12.56.jpg

Folder protection...

Screen Shot 2015-04-03 at 15.13.31.jpg

...access is free for all registered users...

Screen Shot 2015-04-03 at 15.13.57.jpg

Free product that adds user to "Registered - Inactive", then that expires after one day and they are set to "Registered - Inactive" by default anyway

Screen Shot 2015-04-03 at 15.19.43.jpg

Products assigned groups....

Screen Shot 2015-04-03 at 15.14.14.jpg

Default level and group priority...

Screen Shot 2015-04-03 at 15.19.01.jpg

I have it set up so that the product "Free registration" is the only product available until they have registered via this product. I've set all the other products up like this...

Screen Shot 2015-04-03 at 15.33.52.jpg

The "lifetime membership" product is just a disabled free product that I will be using for XenForo Admins/mods.

I think I've got all that right, does it look right to you?

Thank you

Richard
  5. alexander

alexander Administrator Staff Member

Richard,
    Yes sure everything seems to be in order!