Should I Upgrade?

Discussion in 'Installation' started by lucky_ray, Aug 4, 2015.

1. lucky_ray

lucky_ray aMember Pro Customer

This is a question for other Amember users. I currently use version 4.3.6. and it works great. But the dashboard has a message that has been nagging me to upgrade ever since the install.

Has anyone upgraded from 4.3.6. to the current 4.6.3? I searched this forum and see where people have had fatal problems with upgrades and I'm not sure if I want to risk it. Is it the vocal minority or is the upgrade really that dangerous?

The only reason I'm considering an upgrade is I recently had an error occur at midnight when someone was registering and the helpdesk said the error could be cured with an upgrade. I've only had the error once. Maybe it won't happen again. Operation continues to be smooth, without interruptions day after day.

I have maybe 20 or 30,000 subscribers that I don't want to piss off with a broken site.

I have a plain old html site and I'm relatively experienced with using FTP and upgrading PHP sites.

Thanks,
  2. hilary

hilary aMember Pro Customer

I just upgraded from 4.3.6 today (also because of an error that could be fixed by upgrading). It's OK - no broken site. A couple of problems since: the Wordpress integration needed a new version of lite.php, and I've just found that I can't add a new newsletter under 'protect content' because the select box for access permissions isn't populated with products. I expect they'll fix that for me tomorrow.

If in doubt, run the upgrade in the early morning (European time) of a weekday, so Amember support will be available to sort out any glitches. As you probably know, they are super-fast and helpful, when they're open. Just don't make any changes on a Friday evening... :eek:
  3. alexander

alexander Administrator Staff Member

Hilary,
    There is nothing wrong with upgrade.
    Clean your browser cache and that select will work without a problem. There are several JS and CSS files where changed since your version so you need to clean browser cache and remove old files.
  4. hilary

hilary aMember Pro Customer

(Ah. I just need to start typing in the select box. Heh. :oops:)
  5. lucky_ray

Thanks very much for the encouragement. And waiting until I know help will be available is good advice.

I guess I'll take the plunge the next time I have a couple of days. :)
  6. lucky_ray

At least it works -that's a good thing. :)
  7. 123Marketing

123Marketing Member

I just got a notification to upgrade in my dashboard to 4.7.0.

Question: what is the proper way to backup my files before I click the upgrade button?
  8. alexander

To backup your aMember system you need to do two things:
    1. Download contents of whole /amember/ folder from your server using your favorite ftp program.
    2. Make database backup either from your aMember Control panel(if backup option is available here) or from your Hosting Control panel.
  9. blue_vision

blue_vision Member

On the last upgrade I recently did the backup option was available. Now, it's gone so I'm doing it via host CP. Odd...
  10. alexander

Probably you have CC payment plugin enabled, so option is not available.
  11. blue_vision

blue_vision Member

Yes, thank you that appears to have been the issue. I did not enable that myself though. As you're aware I had JUST upgraded my system a few days ago and used that backup button at that time. I didn't change any of that after and I've never accepted credit cards on site. We have PayPal standard only so I don't think any of that would work for me. So something in the upgrade must change enable that plugin for some reason.

Anyways, fixed now.