Setup free trial and then monthly recurring - help!! :)

Discussion in 'Payments processing' started by janea, Sep 29, 2012.

1. janea

janea aMember Pro Customer

Hi, I am the webmaster for Dramanotebook.com and I have read some posts on this subject, but I need some hand holding and more detail as I can't find any documentation that specifically addresses free trial setup.

I setup a free trial a few months ago within an existing monthly membership product that has a recurring monthly membership. I set Trial 1 to 7 days and $0.00. However, we are having some issues where customers are being declined on recurring event after the zero dollar free trail, and sometimes they are reset to the 7 day trail..odd. I am guessing there is some issue with the free trial within the membership product that already existed.

I have read that you can setup a trial product separate from the recurring one, change the recurring product back to no trial, and I am guessing somehow link the two products so that once the 7 day trial is over it switches to the new monthly membership and consequently bills them at the new rate of 9.95 a month.

I need some help on this configuration and how to do this as I am guessing I messed it up to begin with. I have tried putting in a ticket but the support is lackluster at best. Any advice would be SUPER!

Thanks!
    Jim
  2. davidm1

davidm1 aMember User & Partner

Can you do some screenshots of your current product settings?

David
  3. janea

Sure David. Thanks for responding :).
    I did, out of desperation, setup 2 new products. One with the 7 day trial and then continuing to bill for 9.95 every 30 days only visible on signup and then a second one with no trial and only visible on the membership screen if the customer has already purchased a product (ie. a 1 year membership that was active some time ago and they want to switch). The screenshots I am going to show is for the old product which is having the trouble.

The fear is that the first aMember product is having trouble since it was already a running product that I then added a 7 day trial too. So I created the two new ones and hoped that would solve it. I also noticed that I had the scope setup to "all" users (new and current) to see this 7 day trial, and I am wondering if that may have been messing things up :(.

Here is the link to those screenshots:
    http://dev.dramanot.jllweb.com/amemberscreenshots.html

Thanks again,
    Jim
  4. davidm1

davidm1 aMember User & Partner

The screenshot you posted shows a $0 7 day trial followed by 9.95 continuity.

My guess is that when the billing occurs after 7 days, they are being declined, or the payment is failing due to CC issues. They are then signing up for the trial again. I dont see you having any disallow settings preventing them from doing this.

David
  5. janea

So what I did was setup 2 new products. 1 with the 7 day free trial then continuing with the 9.95 billing, and this product only shows up on signup page. Then a new 9.95 monthly product that only shows up in the customer member page where they renew or order new subscriptions. Do you think that should solve it for an existing member revolving account? We are just concerned as the recurring purchases are showing up in the customers payment history as "not-paid" for the 9.95 payment (using the 7 day free trial product). But it is not consistent. About 73% of customers rebills go through fine for the same product. Authorize.net said they believe it to be a "garbled" file sent over during the purchase from amember software. Yet if that was true I would think that would be a MUCH higher failure rate. Have you ever seen anything like that before?