Setup a Wordpress post with 1st paragraph teaser and protected after MORE tag

Discussion in 'Setting-up protection' started by gocliff, Dec 27, 2011.

1. gocliff

gocliff Maverick Marketing Methods

Hello:

We'd like to have Wordpress posts where a non-member guest can read the post title and first paragraph up to the MORE tag, and upon clicking the the MORE tag the guest discovers the article is protected and is sent to the member subscription signup page. How to do this with aMember pro v.4x ?
  2. gswaim

gswaim CGI-Central Partner

You would definitely show/hide content using the aMember shortcode feature. Using the built-in WordPress (WP) "More" feature to redierect to a sales page would be tricky. I think it would take some custom code (on the WP side) to make this happen.

You could drop the WP "More" approach and put in your own teaser links. For example, place free content at the top and the premium content under it inside protection shortcodes. Add a link under the free content, but before the premium content that redirects to a sales page. The link would say something like "To view additional premium content, click here" With this approach each teaser link could point to a unique sales page if necessary.
  3. alexander

alexander Administrator Staff Member

Btw, this should work by default when you set protection for post, or I just didn't understood how you need it to work?
  4. gswaim

gswaim CGI-Central Partner

Alexander,

You can configure WordPress (WP) so that after X number of characters in a post the "More" link is inserted. When you click the "More" link you are shown the rest of the post. In the above case he wants to provide a link that notifies the user of premium content. The link would redirect to a sales/order page.

I think simply adding a link (text or image based) at the bottom of the free content would be a better option (see example from the Wall Street Journal website).

wsj example.png
    awesselsboer likes this.
  5. davidm1

davidm1 aMember User & Partner

Thats a nice design- I'd like to test the conversion of it though using alternative text like "Read this article for $1". So the text should be editable- or better yet with someway to split test various versions...

David
  6. gocliff

gocliff Maverick Marketing Methods

@GSwaim and @Alexander:
    The Wall Street Journal example shown above is EXACTLY what I had in mind when I posted this questions. I agree with @Davidm1... the design of the WSJ subscriber content preview is very good. I thought the "More Link" in Wordpress would be a good trigger, but simply having a "Subscriber Content Preview" option that can be assigned a paragraph or two of text, used as a teaser to the reader, would be fine too.
  7. awesselsboer

awesselsboer New Member

Wow yes that WSJ layout is extremly good. Very much looking for something like that myself. Can it be built? If so, via WP page or via the amember template?