Send only 200 emails per hour

Discussion in 'Customization & add-ons' started by sudn3sc3d, Nov 14, 2006.

1. sudn3sc3d

sudn3sc3d Guest

Hi,

My hosting company allows clients to send only 200 emails per hour. Suppose I want to mass mail 800 people with aMember, is there any way to make aMember send only 200 in the first hour, then from 200-400 in the second hour, etc?

Thanks,
    sudn3sc3d...
  2. alex

alex aMember Pro Customer Staff Member

Unfortunately, there is no such a feature yet.
  3. joe_asto2

joe_asto2 New Member

Time better spent integrating with PHPList

Although aMember is fantastic software, there are a number of OpenSource newsletter scripts, such as PHPList, which have far more features, and do a much better job for mailing lists and newsletter management than aMember does.

I think the aMember Development Team's time would be far better spent developing good integration with PHPList, than trying to copy and develop extra newsletter and mailing list features.

PHPList is as good or better than many of the paid newsletter services, and will always be better than aMember because it was developed specifically for that purpose.

sudn3sc3d: PHPList offers the throttling functionality you need. Look at the full feature list here.

sudn3sc3d, myself, and countless others would benefit from good integration with PHPList. I think the aMember team would be wasting their time trying include the same functionality in aMember - PHPList will always be one step ahead.
  4. deafdavid

deafdavid Member

Two friends who own web-hostings uses Dada Mail -- they claimed it's the best email software. Go to: http://mojo.skazat.com/

I believe this Dada mailing list has a lot of flexibility -- you can setup one group get this type of email, another group get another type of email, etc. I don't know if they can limit # of emails per hour but I believe it can be done.

They have been doing lot of upgrading and fixing bugs which is good.

Dada Mail is CGI script and written in Perl.

Question: can we intergrate this into aMember without difficult? Maybe this can be done on next aMember release?
  5. joe_asto2

joe_asto2 New Member

6. deafdavid

deafdavid Member

Thanks Joe....I have no PHP and Perl programming experience (I got a degree in computer science -- only in COBOL, Assembly Language, Fortran, one more I forgot -- but haven't done any programming in years). I was told PHP and Perl are similiar language and work together. I may have misunderstood what my friend told me.

I'm going to follow up with my friends on these phplist and see if they knew it. And if they knew it, why are they using Dada.

Dave
  7. joe_asto2

joe_asto2 New Member

It didn't say they don't work together, I just said it makes things more complicated. As far as I know, Perl can only communicate with PHP if it has special modules such as PHP::Include and PHP::Session.

However, allthough these modules allow PHP session files to be read, PHP variables to be serialized and simple PHP code to be executed from within Perl, the 2 languages can't communicate with each other as you'd hope.
  8. alex

Thanks for suggestion!
    We have a beta version of phpList plugin ready. Feel free to contact us via helpdesk to get it for testing.
    Unfortunately, integration with Perl scripts is not a simple task and we'd prefer to avoid it.
  9. deafdavid

deafdavid Member

sundn3sc3d, per Joe_astro2 suggestion, and Alex has a beta version of phpList plugin available, have you try it? does it work?

Anyone using phplist (with beta version of plugin)? if so, tell us what you think. I want to hear all pros and cons about this.

One thing, I want to transfer my email list from another program into aMember (not as a product). But I can't transfer the file to aMember Newsletter. Also, I can't remember if I read somewhere, if someone decide to upgrade and join our group as a member, can this be done from Newsletter? That's why I'm hoping this phplist would take care of this -- like joe_asto2, best that aMember Development Team's time would be far better spent developing powerful aMember while we take advantage of other third party program as intergration or plugin.

Am I making any sense here? It's past 11:00 pm my time. Sometime I get myself ahead thinking BIG for aMember.

Dave
  10. joe_asto2

joe_asto2 New Member

Update

I've installed and tried out the PHPList plugin for aMember, which works well.

It allows you to assign a PHPList mailing list to a particular product/subscription in aMember. This means that when a user purchases/subscribes to a product in aMember, the user is automatically added to the PHPList mailng list you specify.

Although the Plugin appears to mostly work OK, there are a few bugs I've found so far:

When manually adding user payments/subscriptions in the "User Payments/Subscriptions" section of the aMember CP, the following error message is displayed:

WARNING: in_array(): Wrong datatype for second argument in line 110 of file

phplist.inc.php

Additionally, when this happens, the PHPList database isn't updated with the new subcription for the user. (The plugin doesn't work when adding payments/subscriptions manually)

[FIXED]

When deleting a user in the "Browse Users" section of the aMember CP, the follow happens:

You click the "Delete" link in the "Actions" column. The next page asks you:

"Do you really want to delete user: xxx@xxxxxx.com? It will be impossible to restore customer records." (This is normal)

You click OK, then the following error is displayed:

"Fatal error: Call to undefined function: get_max() in /home/.horror/essential/essentialcard/cgicentral/amember/plugins/protect/phplist/phplist.inc.php on line 141"

(Which shouldn't happen - the administrator should be redirected back to the Member List page)

Additionally, the "Delete" function doesn't actually work - the user's record in both the aMember database and the PHPList database remains untouched. (The user you are trying delete remains in the databases tables)

[FIXED]

When adding lists in the PHPList admin, when you click the Save button to add the list, the list is saved/added but the following error message is displayed:

Not Found

The requested URL /lists/admin/ was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an

ErrorDocument to handle the request.

This means you have to click the browser's back button twice to get back to the mailing lists menu.

I hope this helps Alex and everyone else! :)
  11. alex

Joe, thank you for reporting this issue.
  12. joe_asto2

joe_asto2 New Member

Always happy to help! :)
  13. unmortal

unmortal New Member

I see it listed in the plugins for purchase, but I just want to get comfirmation that Phplist plugin is no longer in the beta stage.
  14. alex

Sure, it is ready to use.
  15. robw

robw CGI-Central Partner

Yes - http://www.amemailqueue.com