Selling to existing members

Discussion in 'Payments processing' started by sbc123, Jun 30, 2011.

1. sbc123

sbc123 aMember Pro Customer

Hi

Here's my problem.

I have a bunch of existing members and want to sell them new products.

I have set up a sales page which displays the usual pre sales forms. E.g. name, required username etc.

All fine when selling to new people - They choose a username and enter details like their email address. However if an existing member who already has a user ID wishes to purchase the new product, they have to enter all their details again AND choose a new username due to conflicts. The only way for existing members to sign up for the new product without creating a new login ID is to login first and select the product from the drop down menu in the members subscription page.

You would think there would be a way for existing members to use a sign up page if logged in with all but the payment details filled in for them. This is what happens with most shopping carts. At the moment I'm having to work around and re-direct existing members and instruct them where to find the product on the drop down menu in their subscription page. As you might expect, this loses sales because it is confusing.

Basically I want an existing member to see a sales page, login and for the sales page to remain the same except their username/ contact preferences are automatically filled in.

Am I the only person experiencing this problem?
    Am I missing something? My coder doesn't think so.
    Are they any 3rd party solutions?
    As there any other way to set up a sales page for existing subscribers other than directing to the drop down area in their subscription page?

Yours

Dave
  2. davidm1

davidm1 aMember User & Partner

Are you integrated with any CMS systems?
    I teach this with wordpress using the amprotect system to decide which links/content to show existing/new members.

Kens amsales plugin may also do this for you.

David
  3. sbc123

thanks

I'm using Wordpress

Thanks I'll check out these products.
  4. alexander

alexander Administrator Staff Member

Actually this can be fixed with a little customization of signup.html template.
    You just need to put login form to signup template for existing users, and use this url as form target:
    /amember/member.php?tab=add_renew&price_group={$smarty.request.price_group}
    So, if you use price_groups to display products on signup page, user will have a choice: signup or login. After login user will be redirected to renewal form for the same pricegroup as was used on signup form.
    Also, to more simplify this process, you can create simple javascript code that will check what product and paysystem was selected on signup page and redirect user to payment page:
    /amember/member.php?product=1&paysys_id=paypal_r&tab=add_renew&action=renew
    Above link will redirect user to paypal for payment.
  5. sbc123

Thanks

I think I follow this but it still doesn't meet my needs I dont think

I simply want to be able to sell to existing customers via a sales page instead of directing them to their renewal page which is confusing and time consuming.

Most major shopping carts have this login feature. Say you're buying a book from amazon - you login then the sale page is the same as if you've never bought from amazon before aside from saving some relevant details. Why can't amember have this rather (in my opinion) basic function of simply allowing existing members to purchase a product through a sales page.

The problem is that I want to try some split testing. I dont want all customers to be able to get the same products. The simplest way to do this is to allow some customers to get one sales page and other customers to get another. Using the renew/ add page all customers will be able to select the products from the drop down.
  6. alexander

Not sure why you think that my solution will not work?
    For example if you will use this link for existing users /amember/member.php?product=1&paysys_id=paypal_r&tab=add_renew&action=renew
    user only will have to login and then will be redirected to paypal for payment automatically. He will not see renew page.
    Also, if you will include login form in signup template as I wrote before, user will be redirected to paysystem payment page, so renewal page will be skipped.
    Contact me in helpdesk I will help with such customization.
    Unfortunately we don't plan to implement such feature for aMember 3 but aMember 4 supports this already.
  7. mikelinen

mikelinen New Member

Hi, I have a similar need, but different and would like your help. Difference here is that all our customers purchase offsite and get a coupon code that they enter on the signup page to get access. There is no payment system inside amember site. I am using pay type “offline” and that works well on first pass. But now I need something for returning customers on their next product (which they will pick and pay for offsite and get coupon code for also).
    In my link to send them from offsite payment system into aMember to enter the coupon, I can send them to signup with the product id and offline pay type in url (like I do now for first purchase). The flow I’d like after that is this:
    Customer sees a “signup” page with login and coupon code fields only (and the single product listed). I don’t want to confuse them with all the other initial signup fields still there. He fills in his existing user ID and password and his new coupon code and presses continue and goes directly to thank you page.
    Is what I suggested possible? or any other thoughts on how best to do that? I suppose I could do similar to what you described above (edits to signup… copying the login form into it), and then I could remove the other signup fields. Any fine points with all that? What would the form target url look like?
    I’d have to make a separate signup form to do this I guess so that original signup is still there for new buyers, is that right?
    Thanks, appreciate it.
  8. alexander

Existing users should be redirected to membership renewal form (and not to signup form)
    So, you can give such link for existing user:
    /amember/member.php?tab=add_renew&action=renew&product_id=1&paysys_id=offline&coupon=COUPONCODE
  9. vestagirl

vestagirl New Member

I am having a problem with users seeing my products added in this way.
    I have the link as:
    /amember/member.php?tab=add_renew&action=renew&price_group=-12
    But only one user in the system can see it. It is hidden from all others even though I have it set for it to be visible to members who have completed a subscription. The only thing different about the one account that can see it is that it has a lifetime subscription while the others are all recurring monthly. Could this be causing a problem allowing other users to see the products and how do I fix it?

I have 600+ members that I need to send this out to asap!

Thanks!
  10. skippybosco

skippybosco CGI-Central Partner Staff Member

Do you have it set that only active users can see it or expired users can see it?
  11. vestagirl

vestagirl New Member

I had no restrictions on it. I still don't know what the problem was but creating brand new products fixed it. I saved one of the broken ones in case the member support team want to try and figure out what was wrong as the settings on the working product and the problematic product were identical. All I can think of was that I had used the copy function to make new products, I don't know why that would break it but that was the only difference.

One more question, I see when you go to the payment page through a member side link it auto fills the form with the name and address information but not the credit card on file. Is it possible to get it to refill out the credit card info on file?
  12. alexander

No unfortunately this can't be done.
  13. gocliff

gocliff Maverick Marketing Methods

We used the amprotect link and amsales plugin link to simply discover:

Kencinnus will not be offering membership site plugins, consulting or customization until further notice.

Sorry, but this is not currently a good referral.
  14. davidm1

Yeah, Ken has retired from the amember scene. Developers like myself can still install the plugins on client sites though. The plugins are good for v3.x, you'll need to wait for amember to develop something for 4.x if you want to use that version.

David
  15. skippybosco

And from what I understand, Ken's collection of plugins for aMember v3 may be made available to aMember Pro members (for free?)
  16. davidm1

I dont believe so- not unless Alex has licensed them? Last i heard he hadn't.

David
  17. skippybosco

Could have changed, but a few weeks back Ken indicated to me that Alex and he worked out a deal to allow Alex to release (albeit it without support) all of his v3 plugins.