Seller Protection - Digital Products

Discussion in 'Payments processing' started by blue_vision, Oct 16, 2012.

1. blue_vision

blue_vision Member

I am sick and tired of PayPal screwing us. We are totally cool with people so we voluntarily refund anybody that approaches a request for refund kindly and civil even though our subscriptions clearly state that it's a recurring charge and no refunds are allowed (in bold). So it's not that I have a problem with refunds BUT... sometimes you get a complete jerk who is completely trying to take advantage of us so you put your foot down. As we all know, they just go click on the stupid 'unauthorized' button in PayPal and they get their money refunded. Even though I have an email from them stating that they utilized our forum and were the ones who originally signed up so it's plainly not 'unauthorized' STILL PayPal doesn't care. One person just got back 7 months of recurring charges from us... unbelievable.

So, I am praying there is some other solution out there that offers some form of seller protection on digital products? With digital music, ebooks, software, etc everything is digital these days so its totally unbelievable that we can't get any sort of coverage? Does Authorize.net or anybody do well with this?

Obviously I can ask the company themselves but I'd like real world experience from some who have utilized their products with aMember memberships. Thanks!
  2. msrsek

msrsek aMember Pro Customer

I left Pay Pal for that exact reason. Plug-in for Pay Pal Pro for aMember was not available at that time so I switched to Authorize.net. That was 3 years ago and have no issues with Authorize. I recommend them strongly. Only concern is I have had a few aMember related problems associated with communication to Authorize.net
    blue_vision likes this.
  3. thehpmc

thehpmc Member

And I left Pay-Pal when their staff confirmed that eBay staff can access any PayPal account even if it has never been used with, or linked to, eBay.

I switched to WorldPay.
    blue_vision likes this.
  4. alex

alex aMember Pro Customer Staff Member

We partnered with a merchant-account-provider recently, and we hope to announce very interesting offer to aMember Pro customer on the next week. Technically we are working on solution to allow to use Authorize.Net CIM without any security risks and no PCI certification will be necessary.

Switching to Authorize.Net and your-very-own-merchant-account must be a solution for your problem!
  5. blue_vision

blue_vision Member

I'm not sure what CIM, PCI, etc is...LOL. But I think that's cool? As long as it's not something that's gonna make it so chargebacks/disputes are always simple for a customer to claim and win. We are a completely honest product so I want SELLER protection so people can't continue stealing from us.

You say Authorize.Net AND my very own merchant account? I thought Authorize.Net was both? I'm confused...

Also part of my final deciding factor is if whatever merchant I get will integrate well with quickbooks via downloading all transactions. Right now we are in heaven with http://www.simpleport.net/osc/ as it's mind-numbingly easy to get every transaction pulled into Quickbooks appropriately and so our totals match the penny each day.
  6. blue_vision

blue_vision Member

Also I see PayPal Pro mentioned above. Not that it changes how little PayPal cares about their clients but is that any better for seller protection?
  7. playpianoking

playpianoking Member

This is very exciting! I wonder if this uses some of the same techniques that [anotherproduct] is using to allow their customers to use paypal pro and only have an SSL installed, and no PCI certification is necessary.
    1shoppingcart is a joke - the only reason I considered them was because they were the middle man I needed in order to accept paypal pro.
  8. alex

Hmm, about that product you mentioned. - If a mass software have no PCI DSS certification, it is not allowed to accept credit card info on your website. DOT. No matter whay they say about, it is simply not true.

We are implementing a different thing. Credit card info is actually entered on Authorize.Net website, but for customer it will look like a popup to enter credit card details.
  9. blue_vision

blue_vision Member

Any updates on this new offering?
  10. alex

Sorry for delay! We are preparing new aMember version to release before announce.
    If that is urgent for you, please PM me.
  11. blue_vision

blue_vision Member

Just extremely curious. Not an urgent decision right this second as I'm in the middle of another project but when I'm done with that if it isn't released I'll PM you. Thanks!
  12. blue_vision

blue_vision Member

So, bumping this thread to bring it back to life and see if there is anything new. This month I had a ton of 1 year subscriptions renew that CLEARLY stated that it's recurring, to cancel it before it renews, no refunds PERIOD if not done so prior.

It's absolute BS that PayPal offers no seller protection for nontangibles but they also offer buyers no protection for non tangibles. BUT, they sell with the buyer no matter what. No matter how many emails I have from the buyer CLEARLY stating that they did indeed purchase the subscription, IP matches, etc. In fact, there isn't even a place on the PayPal unauthorized claim for me to put my side of the story. They just turn a blind eye in favor of the buyer NO MATTER WHAT.

So, has anyone used this Moolah or whatever aMember is supporting which I'm guessing is the site that was supposed to be announced and was mentioned above? Do they offer seller protection or actually listen to both sides of the story and are willing to look at evidence? Or is there any other offerings currently that are a safer bet then PayPal for recurring memberships? I'm so unbelievably frustrated :(
  13. gswaim

gswaim CGI-Central Partner

I am not exactly sure what your rant is about, but I can confirm that the Authorize.com service mentioned earlier in the thread works fine. A popup window (hosted by Authorize.net) is used to collect CC info so your site does not store CC info. You would have to check with Authorize.net to see what their policy is about customers cancelling a recurring payment.
  14. blue_vision

blue_vision Member

Thanks but I'm hoping to get real life feedback from others in regards to seller protection and if any of these other companies actually research claims. ATM PayPal clearly states that they don't offer buyer or seller protection on digital products. They also state that they have state of the art bla bla bla and investigate cases made. This is all BS. They don't investigate at all, they just grant the buyer their funds back end of story whenever they hit the unauthorized button. No matter what proof I may have.

I appreciate checking Authorize.net and other companies policy but that doesn't really tell me what their business owners are actually experiencing.