Script Modifications

Discussion in 'Pre-Sales Questions' started by themartian, Mar 30, 2005.

1. themartian

themartian Guest

So ages ago I purchased amember pro, and one of the big benefits was I could go into any script, any php file, any template, and db related file and tweak it for exactly what I needed it to do .

Turned out I had quite a few custom things I needed to do, plus I fixed some bugs in the script itself.

Amember pro has come a long way and added a lot of cool features etc, but one that caught my attention with the encrypting of the source, although one can understand the reasons, did this improvement remove my ability to fully customer the amember package for my needs?
  2. themartian

themartian Guest

so in other words can I pay more for a version that I can fully dig into and customize or is that not an option?

a black box solution just wouldnt work and being able to change the skins isnt enough I need to fully integrate into other systems so there are low level functions I have to be able to modifiy.

I would like to pay to upgrade but I would need an answer to this question first thank you.
  3. tomarriola

tomarriola Member

You'll get immediate response if you post to support. They don't monitor the forums regularly. I've seen his question in the past though and the answer I think you'll get is that only a tiny part of the code has been encoded and the rest is visible. Download the demo and you'll get a good idea of the current state of encoding.

Tom
  4. themartian

themartian Guest

Well I took a look, its a lot more then a little, some key files like member and the mysql stuff is encoded, they very files I need to change to integrate into other systems. ah well, no new version for me have to find something else.
  5. pilot

pilot New Member

There is not much that is encoded that will interfere with your modifications at all. I have made heavy mysql changes that the encoding did'nt make a jot of difference.

Find something else . . good luck, it will need some looking. I am not sure anything else is in the same ball game.
  6. themartian

themartian Guest

really? im curious how you modified the encoded mysql php files in amember?
  7. pilot

pilot New Member

Why would you want to modify the encoded files? I have added database querries that have added extra modifications. Amember did not need any modification for the job it was intended for.
  8. themartian

themartian Guest

I based this off my current (but old version) of amember. I looked through the files and found that I had made significant changes to lots of various php files to integrate it into other systems, talk to other processes, talk to other databases,etc.

This required actually changing the existing php to get it to work.

The only other way it could work is if I can redirect a encoded php function call to call my new unencoded function, that would work as well as long as all calling functions are not encoded.

I think my changes are much more extensive then what you were doing.
  9. pilot

pilot New Member

OK,

But I left Amember as it is. . . couldn't see the point of changing a first class piece of software. The point that you made about having an old version, well that's another reason I wouldn't want to change the 'shell' of Amember is that you are not going to be able to take advantage of the updates and added functionality that is ongoing.

You have the database that is not encrypted and want added integration into other systems and whatever you want, you could add on php scripts that have your own tailored php mysql queries with the info in the database..
  10. alex

alex aMember Pro Customer Staff Member

Only 2 files are encoded:
    - amember/rconfig.inc.php
    - amember/plugins/db/mysql/mysql.inc.php
    First file you never need to modify.
    Second file you can get from support (by request).