Restarting a cancel membership before expiration should postpone the renewal date.

Discussion in 'Payments processing' started by shimodabt, Nov 13, 2015.

1. shimodabt

shimodabt aMember Pro Customer

scenario 2
    Restarting a cancel membership before expiration should postpone the renewal date. A customer should not be able to order twice the same membership but be able to extend an active one with a canceled status.
    A customer sign up for a membership that renew yearly. During the subscription year he decides to cancel for some reason. Following that he later decides to renew the subscription before expiration so he will not have any blackout access.
    Example:
    • Subscribe on 2015-11-12. First expiration date on 2016-11-12.
    • Cancel on 2015-12-30.
    • Restart on 2016-10-01 the new expiration should be 2017-11-12.
    Result:
    On the customer account I see the renewal date always one year later after the initial subscription date and he is billed twice.

Is this an issue or I have not configure the application properly?
  2. ccwjames

ccwjames Member

Start Date Calculation
    rules for subscription start date calculation.
    MAX date from alternatives will be chosen.
    This settings has no effect for recurring subscriptions

if someone joined my site and paid for a year and two weeks later cancelled, this tells me amember would remove it as a ACTIVE account. When they re join again, it will use the startdate of the new sub as a end date. why would the new enddate be the same as the old endate? it would not as the old enddate has ended.

its to do with the part i posted

[x]Last existing subscription date of this product
    [x] Last expiration date in the renewal group
  3. shimodabt

Hi ccwjames,

In the basic test scenario I have done above. After the customer "cancel", its account is still "active" until the end of the year subscription he paid for. Only the renewal process has been canceled. This is confirmed by the upgrade link available next to the membership after he canceled is membership. aMemberCancelActive.PNG

Both Start "Date Calculation" options below are selected. But as mentioned in these option description, they should have not effect for recurring subscription as it is the case in my scenario.
    [x]Last existing subscription date of this product
    [x] Last expiration date in the renewal group

The result after subscribing again following the cancel result in the customer beeing billed twice for the same subscription period. As you can see on the picture the end date is the same. I would expect it to be postpone to 13/11/17.
    aMemberCancelActiveResubscribe.PNG
    aMemberCancelBilledTwice.PNG

So, it looks like an issue to me but I could still be missing a correct configuration somewhere. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  4. ccwjames

ccwjames Member

i miss read, your right, you have it as recurring payments for the year?
    try not recrring and test setting
  5. shimodabt

Hi ccwjames,

It might work as a none recurring payment but that is not the way we want the product defined.

The product must be recurring to ease payment management. But when a customer cancel and renew during the active subscription year (which a rather a exeption), the end date of the current subscription must be extended to cover the remaining of the active subscription year plus one full year since he paid twice.

At the moment the customer is billed twice for the same period. This is wrong.