REST Api Questions

Discussion in 'Integration' started by jwbats, Sep 11, 2012.

1. jwbats

jwbats New Member

I'm planning on making heavy use of the API. Before my purchase, an email support person told me I can do anything with the API that I can do from using aMember's GUI.

I've created an API record and checked all permission boxes. Many boxes are 'index', 'get', 'put', 'delete', 'post'.

What does it all mean? The documentation is fairly limited, IMO.

I need to integrate aMember with my ASP.NET application. I would like to build my own signup and login forms, which can communicate with the aMember REST API to process all the necessary stuff.

(I've thought about installing aMember on IIS, but now I'm thinking it's best to keep things simple and go down the API-only road by running aMember on Apache and ASP.NET on IIS.)

My ASP.NET application is an application that will be available for those with a monthly subscription to it.

What I need to be able to do via the API:
    • let users sign up for a recurring billing plan
    • let users make payments
    • let users expire if they don't make payments
    • let active users log in (I think)
    I'm not sure about the latter. Because what I really need is for users to be logged into my ASP.NET application.

So if aMember powers the membership functionality for my ASP.NET app and I make use of aMember through API calls coming from my ASP.NET app... will users then even need to be logged into aMember?

Assuming that they do need to be logged into aMember...

I don't see a possibility of logging users in using the API. How would I go about this?

I do see a possibility of checking users' permissions. So when a user logs in using my custom ASP.NET login form, would I then check his permissions via the API and create an ASP.NET login session if this user has the rights to access my membership site?

Please provide me with the feedback necessary to successfully integrate aMember with my ASP.NET application.
  2. p4mtech

p4mtech New Member

Can anyone please tell me that as well??? Can we make the API extensive? for all the use
  3. alexander

alexander Administrator Staff Member

Actually REST API already should cover all task related to database.
    Yes it doesn't support login but I don;t think that REST API should support login at all.
    Please explain what do you need from API exactly? I will give you an examples.
  4. mylkhead

mylkhead New Member

I'm curious about the same topic. Thanks for the feedback Alex. Can you confirm, we can call any of your controller methods and supply the parameters your app needs with REST through curl? Can you give me some idea how payment details might be entered? Your code is a bit hard to follow because of how it is loading dynamic product forms via database settings. Thanks!