Question about latest version

Discussion in 'Pre-Sales Questions' started by BigDaddy, Jan 27, 2016.

1. BigDaddy

BigDaddy Member

Hi
    I have been using version 3.x for years as a tool to help me check software licenses. Essentially I send the software to check a URL inside the membership area and passing username and password in the URL using the parameters:
    ?amember_login=
    &amember_pass=

This worked in version 3. I checked year or two ago whether version 4 could do this and was told it could not. Is that still the case? Does version 4 have the ability to pass these parameters to login?

I need to update my system somehow because my web host wants to charge me a fee to use an old version of PHP and version 3.x does not work with the latest PHP releases.

I was hoping that aMember would now work as that would be the easiest method.

Andy
  2. caesar

caesar aMember Pro Developer Staff Member

This method is not secure and aMember 4 do not support it and we have not plan to develop it (because of it is not secure). It is possible to implement custom solution (some proxy script) that will allow to use such approach. We will help you with it if necessary.

BTW: we have special module to issue/activate/check licenses. Please have a look
    http://www.amember.com/docs/Softsale
  3. BigDaddy

BigDaddy Member

Thanks Caesar. I will look into the softsale module.
  4. BigDaddy

BigDaddy Member

Caesar

This looks like it could work.

I can see that I need to call this to check license:
    http://www.example.com/amember/softsale/api/check-license

But where does the license key go that needs checking?

Are there any example calls using the API? I want to incorporate this into a Windows application written in Delphi.

thanks
    Andy
  5. swintec

swintec aMember Pro Customer

I was on the fence like you about upgrading and I actually had 3 separate Amember version 3 installs running for years right up until about 9 months ago. I put it off for a long time as the work for me to get everything upgraded seemed daunting to me not to mention version 4 had some differences that effected how my three installs could work for me.

Anyways, long story short, I went for it slowly over time doing one install at a time.

At this point, after everything has been running great for months I kick myself for not doing this sooner. The functionality in version 4 versus 3 is 1,000% better and i can do far far more than I ever could with version 3. Take it from one of the probably last few hold outs among us, take the time to migrate over and take the time to slowly learn the inner workings of all the features and you wont be disappointed.

By the way, what version of PHP are you running? Which version do you need to step up to? If I remember correctly I was running 5.3 or 5.4 of PHP with version 3 and it worked fine. I did have to disable the option to display PHP errors in the browser and that allowed it to run fine. Honestly, i did so many band aid fixes over the years so i could continue using version 3 that I laugh at myself now.
  6. BigDaddy

BigDaddy Member

Thanks for you thoughts Swintec. However, my reluctance to upgrade is nothing to do with fear over the upgrade (I'll hire aMember support to do it for me ;) - my problem is that the feature I rely on in version 3 is no longer supported in version 4. However, there may be a solution, I am checking.
    My PHP is 5.4 and 3.4.x works fine. However, my host wants to start charging me around $8 a month for the privilege of using an outdated PHP. Time to sort out the issues, find a solution with version 4, and upgrade.
    cheers
    Andy