Protecting the auto /feed Wordpress feed

Discussion in 'Setting-up protection' started by rogersfww, Feb 2, 2012.

1. rogersfww

rogersfww New Member

Wordpress automatically creates a feed that can be accessed at www.mydomain.com/feed. How do I protect this feed. Using amember 4.x and the WP integration to protect pages and posts/categories as well as a podcast feed folder using htpassword. The problem lies in the fact that the WP /feed folder doesn't show up in a directory search so using amember's protect folder option doesn't work as it can't find the folder. I don't want to protect the entire domain as I do want public access to certain pages.
  2. rogersfww

rogersfww New Member

I just changed the syndication feed setting within Wordpress to display 0 posts and that may have done it. Can anyone think of a reason why this won't work or if there is a way to protect it from within amember?
  3. alexander

alexander Administrator Staff Member

Please see my reply in other thread.
    If you use amember plugin inside Wordpress, it already should remove protected posts from feed.
  4. rogersfww

rogersfww New Member

Do I have to protect each post individually so they don't show up in the WP feed? I have protected categories and some pages but have not set up protection on the individual posts. Regardless content that is protected on the site is showing up in the feeds.
  5. rogersfww

rogersfww New Member

Just so we have an example. www.handtoolschool.net/feed will take you to the feed with an option to subscribe. Because rss feeds have to have at least 1 item there is still my latest post showing up there. If you click on the link you are taken to the protected page. Moreover the download link to a video is showing up on the feed page. As soon as you try to leave the page within the site protection kicks in, but this still provides a way in to protected content. So what do I do to keep the feed from showing up to the casual savvy user that knows how to access a wordpress feed by typing the url directly.
  6. rogersfww

rogersfww New Member

OK Alex, disregard this thread. As usual this is cause by a user error as the post that was showing up was categorized incorrectly. My apologies but it is good to know this works as it should.