Protecting member's folder but don't want to break current htaccess

Discussion in 'Setting-up protection' started by dezzo, Dec 28, 2011.

1. dezzo

dezzo New Member

I've just purchased aMemberPro and am configuring it.

I already have a folder of member's only files protected with htaccess from another password system. I would like to allow these current members to continue to access the password protected folder with with their current username/password. However, I am worried that aMember will re-write the current htaccess and htpassword files and lock out my current members.

Question is... how can I configure aMember to create new members and set access to the member's protected folder without disrupting the current member's access?
  2. davidm1

davidm1 aMember User & Partner

Do you have an database of their usernames and unencrypted passwords? You can import them into amember.

David
  3. dezzo

dezzo New Member

Importing my members.csv was my first idea but, then realized that I did not know how to sync the fields and info from the members.csv to correspond to the info and fields used or required by aMember. Neither did I want to create 80 new members in the aMember control panel one by one.
  4. alexander

alexander Administrator Staff Member

Currently you have to import users into aMember and you must have user's plain text password.
    We will implement support of encrypted passwords in import later.
    Also, old htpasswd plugin allowed to include different htpasswd file into aMember's htpasswd file. I can restore this functionality if you can import users currently.
  5. dezzo

dezzo New Member

I have a members.db.txt document, same as members.csv and it is has a bunch of lines of text that shows

username,password,cart id number,email,number of days to expire,product number,product id,2CheckOut order number

and here is an example of one of those lines of data

rattymbas,viacom37,1323773538,user@email.com,16,1198886031,1,4591066332

I have not yet tried to import this members.csv file to see what happens. I figure these lines of text would mean nothing to aMember. Of course I also have the htpassword file and it looks like this

mich2see:taRAH.9vCA/F6
    glamgus:taLnTzySH4MNs
    kariel21cw:taWP8dbS2dmWw
    cranberry2go:tayBpNNNHCXf2
  6. dezzo

dezzo New Member

Just in case anyone else is having the same question of how to import users from another members database, I followed the import-example.csv available on the import users section of the configuration. I simplified my members.csv file down to username, password, email, first name, last name. Then I imported it with no problem. Then I browsed users and had to go into each and every user and configure each to add relevant information and make them active. Took a long time but, I don't think there is anyway around it.