Protecting a WordPress feed

Discussion in 'Setting-up protection' started by ahsannaeem, Jul 18, 2017.

1. ahsannaeem

ahsannaeem aMember Pro Customer

I'm currently having problems protecting an auto-generated RSS feed from WordPress. The feed contains links to MP3s and will be brought into podcast apps; however I'd like the RSS file itself to be protected.

I have htpasswd setup but WordPress doesn't seem to generate an XML file that I can find anywhere and apply the aMember protection to. What's the recommended method to achieve this?
  2. caesar

caesar aMember Pro Developer Staff Member

Hello,

I am afraid it is not possible to protect RSS file but aMember automatically remove protected posts from RSS feed in case of user has not access to it. Is it not enough?
  3. ahsannaeem

ahsannaeem aMember Pro Customer

Hi caesar,

We're attempting to provide an RSS feed downloadable by iTunes that requires authentication. A subscription based podcast. Another site we have seen do this that we know uses aMember, has done so by protecting the feed itself.

Are you telling that if we protect the content by using the aMember checkbox at the bottom of WordPress Pages (where you edit and publish the page), then this will prompt a user/pass dialog coming through an external player?

If not, what's the best way to provide a downloadable feed of content that has protection on it?
  4. caesar

caesar aMember Pro Developer Staff Member

I guess you can use some plugin in WP that export your Posts to rss file (eg. https://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-all-export/)

and then you can just protect folder with this rss file with htpasswd at
    aMember CP -> Protect Content -> Folders

Best Regards.