protected videos don't play on mobile devices

Discussion in 'Setting-up protection' started by wardeh, Dec 20, 2011.

1. wardeh

wardeh New Member

I just ran into an issue with protected videos. I hope you can help me or advise me.

I have had my (flash) videos in a "new-rewrite" protected folder for a couple of years. It worked smoothly for all computers and browsers, and even for most non-Apple mobile devices.

But recently, I reencoded my videos as .mp4 so they would play on all mobile devices, including Apple.

But they won't play on the Apple devices when folder protection is turned on. They might play on Android or other devices; I haven't been able to test that yet. (They still play on computers, of course.)

The funny part is that if I turn off the new-rewrite protection, they will play on Apple devices.

I can't narrow down the issue totally. They were flash before and wouldn't play on Apple devices anyway. Now they are .mp4 and will play as long as the folder is not protected.

If I can't figure this out, I have a backup plan where I can move my videos out of my protected media folder. They'll still be protected through the player (Easy Video Player) -- it obfuscates the video location so people can't download. But since it's alot of work to redo all the location and codes for hundreds of videos, I'd rather figure out why protection causes the problem.

By the way, I'm on aMember 3.2.3. I appreciate any help you can give!
  2. alexander

alexander Administrator Staff Member

Try to use htpasswd protection instead and check wil lvideos play or not.
    The problem can be in cookies not being sent when you use mobile device