Protected Podcast

Discussion in 'Setting-up protection' started by seishindo, Jun 8, 2013.

1. seishindo

seishindo New Member

Doing a search on protected podcasts on this forum shows me that there are a variety of opinions on if this should be done. That aside, I would like to investigate how it can be done....

Is it possible to set up a protected podcast using aMember so that when the user subscribes in iTunes (or any podcast aggregator) by putting in the RSS link directly, iTunes will asked for the aMember's user name and password? Moreover, can the podcasts files be external on say A3 since web hosts are probably not the best to host podcasts. Can those files be protected as well so that they are not downloaded directly.

I would be grateful for step-by-step instructions if possible please. Thanks.

By the way, I've seen the above happen with a premium podcast that I am subscribe to:
    http://www.manager-tools.com/premium/manager-tools-premium.rss
  2. davidm1

davidm1 aMember User & Partner

yes, you can protect the mp3, etc.. with amember htpasswd protection. Then itunes will ask for the username/pw to access. The files need to be hosted locally for the protection to work.

I taught this a while back for 3.x, should be the same for 4.x.

David
  3. seishindo

seishindo New Member

David,

Thanks. Looks like that site is for members only, yes?

Tony
  4. davidm1

Yep, that content is premium members only. If you cant/dont want to signup, the basic idea is to use amember htpasswd protection. You can probably figure out how to make this all work searching online- my site gives you a quicker way to learn how to do it.

David
  5. crystalmedia

crystalmedia Member

@David

But if one uses htaccess to point to the htpasswd file in order to protect content within a given folder, won't all members be able to access that folder - meaning members who bought product A but did not buy product B can log in and access this content? aMember would need to build separate htpasswd files for each product a person sells, no? I don't think they do that, or do they?
  6. davidm1

amember creates a unique htpasswd file that only lets in the level you specify.

David
  7. alexander

alexander Administrator Staff Member

Actually htaccess file is the same for all products, but anyway you can protect content using htpasswd plugin and restrict access depends on purchased subscription. Make sure that you use amember CP -> Protect Content -> Folders in order to protect folder. Also when you set protection specify htpasswd as protection method and select products which should have an access for that folder. Correct htaccess file will be created by amember automatically.