Protect content - 10M file size limit

Discussion in 'aMember Pro v.4' started by tobadmin, Dec 4, 2011.

1. tobadmin

tobadmin New Member

I have my php.ini file set to allow uploads of up to 50M but within amember (protect content -> Files -> New record) there's a limit of 10M. Is there any to increase this? A large amount of the content that I will be providing to my customers will be over 10M in size so I need to be able to increase this limit, or find some way around it.
  2. gswaim

gswaim CGI-Central Partner

It is my understanding that this limit is pulled from "upload_max_filesize". I am not a server expert but I think there are server-wide limitations placed on some shared hosting accounts.

I do know that protection for Amazon S3 files is on the Road Map for 4.2

Protect_file_8.png
  3. tobadmin

tobadmin New Member

When I first installed amember the upload_max_filesize was set to 2m, so I couldn't even upload pdf files because of that limit. I had my webhost increase it to 50m (see image 1) and I was able to upload the pdf files that I wanted to upload. I updated amember today (version 4.1.7) and I was going to upload a mp3 meditation file... that's when I noticed that amember now says 10m is the file size limit (see image 2) but my php setting is still 50m.

php.jpg

amember.jpg
  4. alex

alex aMember Pro Customer Staff Member

There is also post_max_size variable in php.ini, which must be slightly higher than
    upload_max_filesize.

Another problem is that you cannot effectively share such a big files within a PHP script.
    In case of 20-50MB files, it is better to protect a folder with these files by new-rewrite (aMember Cp -> Protect Content -> Folders) and post direct links to these files somewhere (for example at aMember Cp -> Protect Content -> Links ). It is longer to configure, but will work better.
  5. tobadmin

tobadmin New Member

Thank you for the information and suggestion, Alex. I will try the method you suggested.
  6. hvidigaljr

hvidigaljr New Member

Hi,
    I'm having problems with Folder protected content. I simply cannot access the files. I've put all my files under a folder, and protected it. Then I created a page and inserted the links for the protected files (files that are under protected folder). But I simply cannot access any of the files.