Product / User Level Distinction

Discussion in 'Customization & add-ons' started by aantix, Oct 27, 2003.

1. aantix

aantix New Member

Alex -

The more I have utilized aMember, the more something becomes apparent. For the sake of clarity, there needs to be a logical distinction between access rights and subscriptions.

Defining 'Administrative Privs' as a subscription just doesn't make sense. There needs to be a logical division. Products are initially seperate from access groups. One should specify the default user group for a system, and then speficy alternative user levels for each individual product. The user group will define further actions (upgrading forum access via plug-in, etc).

The user should check for the appropriate user group on each protected page, not an individual product.

This generalized model betters suits both those who just run membership sites, and those who sell subscriptions. And this model closely resembles standard models utilized mainly in OS administrative systems and forum software.

Thoughts anyone?
  2. alex-adm

alex-adm Guest

yes, you are right - but for your particular case.

seems you provide several levels of access with several membership plans (depends on periods, right?)
    it is very rare situation. usually things are a lot simpler and no reason to make admin interface more comlicated for most members. however, I understand your idea and I will think about.
  3. somethingelse

somethingelse New Member

i'd have to vote YES on this project. from the sounds of it, we are in a similar boat - having a membership site with various levels (and a huge overhaul in the process which is causing us to consider more, and/or different configurations of membership/access level).

ie. we'd like to offer increasing access to content based on the level of subscription. though i'm still not entirely clear on how the heck we're going to accomplish any of it...

if we didn't have to buy yet another piece of software, we'd be very happy. So far we're quite liking aMember and discovering it's power every day. - perhaps you could just add an ADVANCED ADMIN page or plugin to the console, for those who need it, rather than as a standard option for the "average" user?
  4. alex-adm

alex-adm Guest

We will consider this change in the next generation of aMember. Unfortunately, it is too hard to add it into current version.