Pre Sales Question

Discussion in 'Pre-Sales Questions' started by Red, Nov 18, 2003.

1. Red

Red Guest

Greetings.

I have already downloaded and successfully installed the free version of aMember, but I think I need a few more features that the pro version has. As far as I can tell, this is the only program out there that even remotely comes close to doing what I want.

I intend to use this program to manage a small webhosting company that I'm starting. I would like to use aMember to just handle basic account information (username, subscription type, etc) creation and storage and then insert my own script to automatically create an account upon successful receipt of payment from PayPal. I don't need protection for any directories, but I do need the email features, the payment features, the admin features, and the customization features.

Which leads me to my questions:

1. As far as the PayPal recurring subscriptions, does aMember create a subscription through PayPal that PayPal automatically bills, or is it a cron job on my server?

2. My server doesn't have SSL. Will this cause any problems between PayPal IPN and aMember?

3. Is there anyway for users to cancel their subscriptions?

4. As far as the license, is the license only good for the site registered? If, for whatever reason, I had to change domains, would I be able to use it under a different domain name or would I have to buy another copy?

I realize that there is webhost management software out there, but most of them have WAY too many features and/or require additional software. I don't need users to be able to manage their server account through the sites main page. That's what I use cPanel for.

Thanks,
    Red
  2. ats

ats New Member

Hello Red,

I own a webhosting and developing company. Its new but becoming pretty successful and we are growing rapidly. We are adding many new features even as I type now.

I use amember for another website I own, and for quite a few clients. I am however a bit lost on why you want to use amember for what you want to accomplish. Dont get me wrong, I think amember rocks and is the best and most up to date member script on the market, but I dont think its necessary for what you are trying to accomplish. You can use a 3rd party processor and paypal alone integrated into your website to handle your billing, account information and recurring payments.

Right now my company uses 2checkout.com for 3rd party processing, and we are setting up paypal this week. We have accounts with probilling, paysystems, verotel, multicards, pswbilling, privatepay, ccbill, etc...and paysystems or 2checkout.com will work fine for your requirements.

Maybe I dont fully understand what your trying to accomplish, however, I would be more than happy to help you out in any way possible.

Maybe I can give you some pointers and if you do decide that amember pro is what you need, I would be more than happy to help you set it up or answer any questions.

If you want to checkout how 2checkout works on our website, then you can view my company's site at :

http://www.advantage1consulting.com

If you want some help or have any questions, please email me at support@advantage1consulting.com and I will gladly help you out.

To answer 1 of your questions, if you do switch domains, then yes I believe alex will accomodate you so you can use amember pro on your new domain. However you can only use it at 1 domain per license.

Talk with you soon if you decide to email me.

Later,
    Bo
    (ATS)
  3. Hello to both of you. I run a webhosting company and I do not see why either of you are using the software your both wanting to use. Modernbill is the best solution for hosting companies of all sizes and built for hosting companies. www.modernbill.com you can buy outright for rent for a very affordable monthly fee. I use modernbill as my client/billing solution and Plesk PSA for the backend and all is intergrated so I do nothing but keep the server running.

I like amember and recommend it to my clients needing to provide sub/client solutions for their sites. I belive in using the right software for what your doing.

Have a great day.

James
  4. alex-adm

alex-adm Guest

I can agree with previous post - aMember was not designed to manage hosting, ModernBill will do it better.