PayPal Pro - your thoughts

Discussion in 'Customization & add-ons' started by 123Marketing, Jun 17, 2005.

1. gigaenvy

gigaenvy New Member

I have the beta but was too lazy to try this. Will try tonight on 2.3.6 pro if it doesn't require an upgrade just to implement paypal pro beta plugin. Thanks.
  2. vegascoop

vegascoop New Member

2.3.7, then when I upgraded it said 2.3.8 Beta
  3. jmaduk

jmaduk Member

Paypal Pro and regular PayPal running on same system

Alex, will the paypal pro plugin run in combination with the regular plugin?

for example I have a product that has two purchase options.

Option A: monthly subscription using regular paypal plugin.
    Option B: yearly payment using paypal pro plugin.

Each product would have to use a preferred payment system.

Is this available with the paypal pro plugin?
  4. alex

alex aMember Pro Customer Staff Member

I don't think it will work, but why is it necessary?
  5. jmaduk

jmaduk Member

I thought PP Pro won't do recurring subscriptions

My understanding was that PAYPAL Pro won't do recurring subscriptions, just one time purchases. In my setup I'm offering two choices, the monthly or the one time yearly payment. Right now the are on the same signup page.

If the same signup page has two options, one a paypal subscription and the second a paypal pro one time purchase - both plugins are required correct?

Or will it work if each option has a unique signup page?
  6. alex

It is possible to implement as customization, but I just want to understand the business need of this. Why paypal_r doesn't work well for year billing?
  7. jmaduk

jmaduk Member

Yes it's working but it still means that the user has to have a paypal account. I'd like to add a payment method ( that doesn't require the user to be a paypal member) without using 2checkout or one of the other gateways.
  8. alex

As I remember, it is possible to enable in PayPal account settings something that users can pay you without registering an account (if payment is not recurring).
  9. Ron Ackerman

Ron Ackerman New Member

Alex, I have kind of been following this and since this is the first of the year wonder what the final outcome was?

I also wonder if it is feasable to have an aMember solution to do recurring subscriptons maybe with a cron job. That would put more control over the monthly payments.

I have had many problems with customers not being able to stop their subscription. One actually called PP customer support and managed to get them to return their entire subscription (several months worth) which of course came out of MY account. Another customer couldn't remove her subscription even after it was all deleted out of aMember. I had to go in and delete it manually. So personally I would rather have the control on my side and not PayPal's. But that's personal preference and I don't even know if others are experiencing the same type of problems.

Just something to think about in the future.
  10. jmaduk

jmaduk Member

Paypal subscription settings

This is from the paypal site... remember I'm in Canada so it may be different for US paypal accounts...

From the PayPal WebSite Payment Preferences setting in the merchant profile tab....

PayPal Account Optional

When this feature is turned on, your customers will go through an optimized checkout experience. This feature is available for Buy Now, Donations, and Shopping Cart buttons, but not for Subscription buttons. Learn More

PayPal Account Optional:
    On
    Off​

That's why I was wondering if you could set up the paypal pro account with recurring subscriptions
  11. alex

PayPal PRO does not support recurring billing and it won't be supported.

Have a look to agreement - it is prohibited to store user's credit card info and use it with PayPal Pro, and there are no other ways to do recurring with this system.
  12. alex

It WORKS however for other credit card processors, like Authorize.Net and LinkPoint. Have a look : http://www.amember.com/paysystems.php
  13. Ron Ackerman

Ron Ackerman New Member

Ok I get it now. Thanks
  14. nuccio

nuccio New Member

OK... how can one use AMember to process Subscription/RECURRING payments using PayPal? Which PayPal service will integrate with AMember without having to ever go to the PayPal Site?

1. Will PayPal PayFlowPro work with AMember for Subscription/RECURRING payments?

2. If we need to process Subscriptions/RECURRING payments, which PayPal service will work with AMember?

3. What other providers are known to work with Amember for Subscriptions/RECURRING payments?
  15. alex

16. fullthrottle

fullthrottle New Member

By the way, alex -- is WorldPay still the ONLY other best
    alternative to PayPal for recurring payments using Amember?

Thanks for a wonderful product!