PayPal Pro - your thoughts

Discussion in 'Customization & add-ons' started by 123Marketing, Jun 17, 2005.

1. gswaim

gswaim CGI-Central Partner

ettera,

You can use PayPal to handle recurring billing with credit cards.

The point I tried to make is related to the checkout experience. Traditionally PayPal has required a person to have an account with PayPal to checkout. If you were checking out with PayPal for the first time you had to go through the hassle of setting up a PayPal account.

Just recently PayPal began allowing customers to checkout with PayPal without requiring them to have a PayPal account. The twist to this is that it is only for regular purchases, not recurring purchases.

If you do not have any products that are recurring, you can use the "paypal" plug-in. You will also have to make one configuration setting on your PayPal account. Then your customers can checkout with PayPal with out having a PayPal account.

If you have any recurring products you will have to use the "paypal_r" plug-in. When you use this plugging, all customers will have to have a PayPal account to checkout.

You can read an entire thread about this issue here:

http://www.amember.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2611

If you want to learn a lot about payment processing I would recommend you spend some time in the "Payment Processing" forum. Remember to change the setting at the bottom of the page to look at more than the last month's worth of postings.

Good Luck!
  2. alex

alex aMember Pro Customer Staff Member

etterra, it is possible to take payments for subscriptions with aMember and PayPal, and it is already implemented and is working well.

Regarding PayPal Pro - this technology doesn't allow to handle recurring subscriptions, and it doesn't look like it can be implemented later.
    However, I believe it is not a problem at all. Everyone knows PayPal. If I enter credit card information, I would trust PayPal more than any third-party site. Do you agree?
  3. DonkeyMan

DonkeyMan Guest

I think Pay Pal Pro will still be very popular for lots of applications. I think you should still complete the plug-in for it.
  4. topspin67

topspin67 New Member

I just can't believe this is even being debated... the only problem is that it doesn't support recurring payments? Wow...
  5. Grae

Grae New Member

I would like this feature. Besides the recurring transactions and the fact that only certain countries are eligible, Paypal Pro seems like a really good deal. Paypal Pro includes virtual terminal, which allows you to accept phone, fax, and mail orders. I'm in no hurry though.
  6. joe435

joe435 New Member

Alex,

Any update. I would like to get this implemented on our site.

Thanks,

John
  7. alex

This option will be implemented by Aug 15, 2005. I'm sorry for delay with implementation of this, and I hope it is nice, but not mission critical option for anyone. I'm sorry if it is wrong.
  8. steve

steve Guest

Alex,

I would still be interested--actually the PayPal Website Payments Pro would be the best system for me because I don't take recurring payments. I hope you will still pursue this. I always have customers complaining that they have trouble with the traditional PayPal when they have used it (or someone in their family did) at some point in the past but then would just like to use a credit card without messing with the PayPal extra stuff. That's who I'm seeking to please. Anything that puts a potential customer off can be a lost sale.

Thanks,
    Steve
  9. joe435

joe435 New Member

Alex,

Any update?
  10. vegascoop

vegascoop New Member

Me too

I am also interested in Pay Pal Payments Pro. Can't wait to set it up. Peronsally, I think Paypal pro is going to end up dominating online payment processing. The fees are excellent.
  11. vip

vip New Member

BTW - for those that are curious -- the discussion surrounding "WHY" Paypal created this new "pro" or plus payments system tend to stem around Paypal's desire to convert many of their merchants from paypal's "third-party" account to that of a "private" merchant account. Doing so will ease restrictions on paypal and allow for less problems against paypal's main account.

It is an interesting theory when you consider the difficulties involved with visa and mastercard ...

Just fyi ...
  12. joe435

joe435 New Member

Alex,

Any update????
  13. alex

PayPal Pro plugin is available for beta-testing. It is only applicable if:
    - your site (aMember) is not in live mode;
    - you have some web skills (able to upload files, understand FTP, etc);
    If so, please contact me at alex@cgi-central.net with subject:
    *** PAYPAL PRO BETA ***
    and I will respond with files and instructions to setup.

Once the plugin considered stable, we will release new aMember version with this plugin inside.

REQUIREMENTS to use PayPal Pro plugin:
    - your hosting must have "curl" PHP extension compiled-in with SSL support
    - your must have your own or webhosting-provided (shared) SSL certificate, because you will ask customers for credit card info on YOUR website;
    - as said before, recurring billing is not supported and will never be implemented.
  14. gigaenvy

gigaenvy New Member

Damn you! Someone beta pronto so I can renew my support subscription :)
  15. alex

Yes, I would also like to hear some feedbacks. :)
  16. vegascoop

vegascoop New Member

Today

I am testing it today. I had some trouble sigining up for the paypal pro service, but they just approved me. I will post my results.
  17. gigaenvy

gigaenvy New Member

Alex, are you saying SSL is absolutely required?

Also, how do I tell on my hosted web service if I have "curl" PHP extension compiled-in with SSL support?

Thanks,

GigaEnvy
  18. vegascoop

vegascoop New Member

I spoke to soon... Now I'm waiting for an approval for an API certificate from PayPal...

To reply to Gigaenvy:

how do I tell on my hosted web service if I have "curl" PHP extension compiled-in with SSL support?

If you have amember, Go under amembmer/admin click on "Version Info" under Utilities.

Otherwise you'll have to create a file in your text editor called info.php with the following:

<?php

phpinfo();

?>

Upload the file to your server and then open it in a web browser. If you're lucky either under Version Info or with the file you just created, you'll find an entry that looks something like this:

CURL support enabled
    CURL Information libcurl/7.10.6 OpenSSL/0.9.7a ipv6 zlib/1.1.4
  19. vegascoop

vegascoop New Member

I just completed a flawless real world money test of PayPal Pro using amember. So far, so good. I will be trying a few more tests later today with various credit cards.
  20. gigaenvy

gigaenvy New Member

Are you using 2.3.6 pro or 2.3.7 pro?