PayPal Payments Advanced or Pro

Discussion in 'aMember Pro v.4' started by pe_cam, Jun 14, 2012.

1. alexander

alexander Administrator Staff Member

Either they haven't understood what you need or they looked into different account.

Do you have sandbox account?

DPRP(Direct Payment Recurring Payments ) is separate service that should be enabled in your account which allow to accept CC recurring payments.
    There is no other solutions for this error message. DPRP must be enabled for your paypal account and you have to contact paypal and ask to enable it. If they still claims that it is enabled, contact them provide full transaction log and ask to explain why this error was generated then?
  2. regis

regis aMember Pro Customer

Alex,

I called and delt with multiple support people at PayPal.

Finally the last guy I called told me specifically that anyone who has PayPal Payments Pro and the API login already will still be supported and DPRP will still work.

BUT for someone like me who has just now setup their paypal payments pro account and setup API and DPRP will NOT work anymore and they are forcing all new customers to switch to PayFlow Link or PayFlow pro and their SDK which you can get through www.x.com - so cart systems and payment systems that use API will not work from now going forward.

This is specifically what PayPal support told me after calling them multiple times and insisting that because of the error message that I was getting that DPRP was not turned on, and then PayPal insisting that is was - turns out that it's just PayPal who has decided to dis-continue PayPal Payments Pro with the API connection / interface in favor of making people use PayFlow Link or Payflow pro SDK.

I don't expect that you would have known this as it is a very resent change with PayPal.

Either way, I need to move forward - so I'm now looking into Authorize.net
  3. jbubb

jbubb New Member

I am now getting the same error, even tho this worked just a month ago.

I have since signed up, at great expense to our company, to the re-occurring billing w/ Paypal. But all payments are still getting declined with the same error message.

This needs to be fixed or I will need to find another membership software/site provider.
  4. regis

regis aMember Pro Customer

To fail is to learn.

This is what I've learned.

We had Linkpoint / firstdata before and during the upgrade to v4. After going through the huge PayPal fiasco outlined above - I've got Amember support to forward me the firstdata plugin and i've since installed it and so far it's working great for recurring billing (although saved CC info was not transferred over from v3). However, i know that cgi-central was hesitant to send it because they are trying hard to become PCI DSS compliant, as the firstdata plugin will still store customer cc info into our own database.

I'm OK with this.

Why?

Because it WORKS.

I'm also ok with this because I have on my team a guy who manages my server and the security / firewall / SSL / security policies / etc, etc.. We are working towards having a super secure server. heck, eventually the only services we are going to be running will be shell, mysql and NGINX (and whatever else is needed to run those things). We have a firewall that will block whole countries IP addresses just because they are known to have a lot of hackers in that country! In short I take my website business very seriously and if everyone else did the same cgi-central probably wouldn't have to be so worried about PCI DSS compliance.

I think maybe the problem is that there are a lot of cgi-central customers who use amember on shared hosting services and they want to be able to do all the cool credit card stuff without paying too much or worrying about security, etc.. I guess it just depends on how serious you are about your business.

I also think that it's understandable to be frustrated at cgi-central, but honestly - they do actually make the best membership system for the money out there bar none! They are just programmers trying to deal with PCI DSS compliance.

I'm sorry - I think there is a lot of hype around PCI DSS compliance.

After doing some research into it myself, I believe you CAN store customer CC info on your own server, but you'll have to actually put some time and care about security... maybe even get your own virtual server or dedicated server, whatever and harden it, manage it, mange a firewall, check the log files, install security measures, have redundancy and act like a real company.

Again, I guess it just depends on how serious you are about your business.

my 2 cents.

Sean.
  5. johnww

johnww aMember Pro Customer

At the very top of this forum item, you state that both PayPal Standard and PayPal Advanced use the same amember plugin.

I have tested this on my site and it does not function as you suggest.

I have spoken to PayPal support who tell me that shopping carts communicate with PayPal Advanced via the Payflow gateway API. It is thus impossible that the amember plugin for PayPal Standard can also handle PayPal Advanced.
  6. alex

alex aMember Pro Customer Staff Member

John, thank you for pointing out, we will review it more carefully.
  7. johnww

Any news on developing a link from amember 4 to PayPal Advanced?
  8. johnww

I have done some more research on PayPal Advanced and I have concluded that PayPal Advanced is exactly the same as Payflow Link.

On this URL, you can see a payment processed on amember3 using the "Payflow Link" payment method in conjunction with my PayPal Advanced account (test mode):

http://print-science.com/auk3/signup.php?price_group=-1

If the V3 payment method "Payflow Link" were ported to V4 with a few small modifications, we would be able to process 1-time payments with PayPal Advanced.

Recurring payments would be a little more complex but still achievable. PayPal Advanced does have an option "Recurring billing" which costs an extra $10/month, for a total of $15.

Here is how recurring transactions could be processed via PayPal Advanced with Recurring payments enabled:

1. Customer makes initial 1-time payment
    2. Via API, this original 1-time payment is converted into a "Recurring profile"
    3. Once the recurring profile exists, PayPal will automatically process recurring payments
    4. When customer wants to cancel recurring payment, via API, the recurring profile can be cancelled