PayPal Payments Advanced or Pro

Discussion in 'aMember Pro v.4' started by pe_cam, Jun 14, 2012.

1. pe_cam

pe_cam Guest

Anyone using this with v4? We're looking to get a more seamless purchasing experience than we have now. I've been testing v4 with the 'paypal' payment plugin and while it's super easy to just put a PayPal email address in aMember config, we're looking for something more cohesive for our site rather than blatantly leaving our site to PayPal's interface.

I also know that PayPal can customize the header a bit to fit the feel of your site, but that still isn't quite good enough for what we're looking for.

If not PayPal, any US-based aMember users using a payment plugin to do mostly-seamless checkouts?
  2. pe_cam

pe_cam Guest

Per PayPal Payments Advanced Documentation, this type of payment screen is what we want to accomplish:

Attached Files:

3. alex

alex aMember Pro Customer Staff Member

I highly recommend to use Authorize.Net CIM.
    Advantages:
    Customers will not leave your website;
    Billing is completely controlled from aMember or other script - you have full freedom;
    And with all of this you do not have to store credit cards in database - Authorize does it for you;
    Problems:
    Customers will have to enter credit card information on your website - so you have to care about security, and even about PCI DSS verification.
  4. alex

It is supported by PayPal Pro plugin.
    aMember CP -> Setup -> Plugins
    enable "cc" module
    save
    enable "paypal-pro" payment plugin
    save
    configure aMember CP -> Setup -> PayPal Pro plugin
  5. pe_cam

pe_cam Guest

alex, thank you for the quick reply!

I've compared Authorize.Net with PayPal's offerings and once you add in their Customer Information Manager (so they keep the credit information and we don't have to worry about PCI compliance), add their Batch Fees, plus their Recurring Billing Fee, plus Merchant Bank fees it costs much more than the PayPal solution.

Thank you for the steps to enable "paypal-pro". I will begin testing that asap!
  6. alex

Just to prevent next question.
    If you get permissions errors at aMember CP -> Logs -> Invoice, it means you need to contact PayPal support and ask them to enable recurring billing in PayPal Pro for you. As I understand it is disabled by default.

Also you definitely need to install SSL certificate for your website (contact your webhosting support to find out costs and procedure), and configure aMember to use it (aMember CP-> Setup -> Root URLs and License -> Secure Root URL) so your customer enter credit card by encrypted connection.
  7. pe_cam

pe_cam Guest

To clarify, is this plugin for PayPal Payments Pro or PayPal PayFlow Pro? Two very different products...

I activated the "paypal_pro" plugin and saw it requires and API User/Pass/Sig. Once I mentioned those to a PayPal rep, they immediately told me I needed Pro instead of Advanced... yet according to the Advanced documentation I should be able get what we're looking for:

- Relatively seamless checkouts - a highly customizable checkout page that looks 95% similar to our site might work.
    - Avoid keeping sensitive data on our servers and avoid having to worry about PCI compliance
    - Integration with aMember

They ask me to verify aMember's integration with PayPal Payments Advanced since it is a new product.

Thank you again for the guidance!
  8. pe_cam

pe_cam Guest

9. alex

Looking at this...
  10. jjun0366

jjun0366 New Member

A simple search found the answer below.
    But there is a problem. When I activated paypal pro plugin, I get the following error.

WARNING! Every application processing credit card information, must be certified as PA-DSS compliant, and every website processing credit cards must be certified as PCI-DSS compliant.
    aMember Pro is not yet certified as PA-DSS compliant. We will start certification process once we get 4.2.0 branch released and stable. This plugins is provided solely for TESTING purproses Use it for anything else but testing at your own risk.

Does this mean I cannot accept credit card info on my site?

----------
    Does your shopping cart ask for an API username, password, or signature?
    You'll need to create an API username for PayPal that's different from your shopping cart's username. Follow these steps:
    1. Log in to your PayPal Business account.
    2. Click the My Account tab.
    3. Click the Profile tab. If you haven't already done so, you need to verify your account before requesting API credentials.
    4. Click Request API credentials under Account information.
    5. Click Set up PayPal API credentials and permissions under Option 1.
    6. Click Request API Credentials.
    7. Click Request API signature.
    8. Click Agree and Submit.
    9. Copy and paste the API username, password, and signature into your shopping cart's configuration or administration screen.
    10. Complete the process by following your shopping cart's final steps.
    ------------
  11. pe_cam

pe_cam Guest

While I appreciate the reply, that really doesn't answer anything.

I believe that error, which I also have, simply means you CAN accept credit info on your site but it's completely at your own risk. If there is a leak of sensitive data or a breach in security, it will be your responsibility if there is any issue.

As I said in my previous post - There are two very different PayPal Pro systems, Payments and PayFlow. They both work differently and simply enabling the plugin and filling in some blanks doesn't denote which plugin is being used. I've contacted PayPal for support but they can't help me until aMember clarifies what payment system it is trying to integrate with.
  12. pe_cam

pe_cam Guest

*bump*

We cannot move forward without upgrading to aMember v4 and we are unable to do that without having a payment plugin with recurring billing to move to. PayPal offers 5 different products:

PayPal Payments Standard
    PayPal Payments Advanced
    PayPal Payments Pro
    PayPal PayFlow Link
    PayPal PayFlow Pro

Thanks
  13. alexander

alexander Administrator Staff Member

Hi,
    You can use these paypal products with aMember:

PayPal Payments Standard
    PayPal Payments Advanced

Above is handled by paypal plugin.

PayPal Payments Pro - paypal-pro plugin.

Paypal Advanced payments are supported by default paypal (Website Payments Standart) plugin. That functionality is available and handled by paypal itself. Nothing should be changed in aMember from user's side. user will go to signup page, then will be redirected to paypal. Then if you have Paypal Advanced payments enabled, user will see a choice to pay with CC. If not, user can pay with his paypal account only.

PayFlow is not supported currently.
  14. pe_cam

pe_cam Guest

Ok, thank you for the clarification.

When using PayPal Payments Pro and recurring payment products, where does the sensitive credit card information get stored? Within aMember or with PayPal? Would we just need an SSL Certificate to make our site secure to enter payments, but PayPal keeps the actual data so we don't have to worry about it?

Thanks again!
  15. jjun0366

jjun0366 New Member

I just read a similar answer on quora.
    Paypal stores credit card data themselves so if you want to move to another platform, all customers will have to reenter their credit card info.
    And yes SSL is a high requirement. I'm getting one myself. Verisign insures up to $1.5m I think. Geotrust up to $500k which is what I am looking at.
  16. regis

regis aMember Pro Customer

Hi Alex,

I have PayPal Payments Pro and am able to get the API login info needed for PayPal Pro plugin in Amember. However in another post you mention that for recurring payments to work it needs to be activated by PayPal, but when I called to activate recurring payments PayPal told me I have to order Payflow?? So now I've paid $198 to setup recurring payments with Payflow Link (through the Manager.paypal.com login).. then they tell me to make API calls from a cart website for recurring payments I'd need PayFlow Pro!?! which is yet another setup charge and more monthly cost.. but here your saying that PayFlow is not supported currently... Sorry, I am very confused...
  17. alex

No no no. You do not need PayFlow Pro.
    PayPal Payments Pro does the job fine.
    Ignore my words and just configure aMember plugin and try to start test recurring subscription.
    If you get an error, look at aMember Cp -> Logs -> Invoices, copy/paste error# and error message here.
  18. regis

Really sorry for all the confusion - I'm really upset PayPal support has been nothing but confusing and costly both in time and money!!!

Here's the response code I am getting back:

ENCODED DETAILS:
    Array
    (
    [TIMESTAMP] = 2012-06-29T22:13:53Z
    [CORRELATIONID] = 982ba7a59fd8c
    [ACK] = Failure
    [VERSION] = 63.0
    [BUILD] = 3067390
    [L_ERRORCODE0] = 11586
    [L_SHORTMESSAGE0] = DPRP is disabled.
    [L_LONGMESSAGE0] = DPRP is disabled for this merchant.
    [L_SEVERITYCODE0] = Error
    )

Obviously I need to get DPRP enabled.

Basically - PayPal support directly told me that I HAD to have PayFlow Pro, then transfered me to another department and then charged me $198 to setup PayFlow Link and recurring payments!!

Watch out for PayPal support people!
  19. regis

BTW - google the term:

"[L_SHORTMESSAGE0] = DPRP is disabled." and you'll see others with the same problem.
  20. regis

I've called PayPal and they are claiming that DPRP / recurring payments is active and has been active on my account!?

Here is the outgoing request response -

<invoice-log-item type="outgoing-request-response">
    <headers>
    <header name="date">Fri, 29 Jun 2012 22:51:55 GMT</header>
    <header name="server">Apache</header>
    <header name="content-length">***</header>
    <header name="connection">close</header>
    <header name="content-type">text/plain; charset=utf-8</header>
    </headers>
    <body><![CDATA[TIMESTAMP=2012%2d06%2d29T22%3a51%3a55Z&CORRELATIONID=2762a06133803&ACK=Failure&VERSION=63%2e0&BUILD=3067390&L_ERRORCODE0=11586&L_SHORTMESSAGE0=DPRP%20is%20disabled%2e&L_LONGMESSAGE0=DPRP%20is%20disabled%20for%20this%20merchant%2e&L_SEVERITYCODE0=Error]]></body>
    </invoice-log-item>

ENCODED DETAILS:
    Array
    (
    [TIMESTAMP] = 2012-06-29T22:51:55Z
    [CORRELATIONID] = 2762a06133803
    [ACK] = Failure
    [VERSION] = 63.0
    [BUILD] = 3067390
    [L_ERRORCODE0] = 11586
    [L_SHORTMESSAGE0] = DPRP is disabled.
    [L_LONGMESSAGE0] = DPRP is disabled for this merchant.
    [L_SEVERITYCODE0] = Error
    )