Passing a Group Price Number To Signup From Member....

Discussion in 'Customization & add-ons' started by gswaim, Jul 6, 2005.

1. gswaim

gswaim CGI-Central Partner

Alex,

I have been using aMember for a long time and love it. I did come across one thing that would be cool if it would work.

When you have a new user on a site they need to go to signup.php

When you have a returning member they need to go to member.php

On my site I could put a link that says something like "New Members Click Here" and this would send them to signup.php

I could put a link that says something like "Returning Members Click Here" and this would send them to the member.php

OR

I could put one link that says something like "User Control Panel" that sends everybody to member.php. From here a returning member could log in and a new member could click on the "Sign Up Here" link to be rerouted to the signup.php

This is good, one link for everybody, but.....

If I use this idea (send everybody to member.php) and use the "Price Group ID" parameter it does not work well. For instance if I sent someone to member.php?price_group=1 and they were a member and logged in they would indeed only see Price Group 1 listed when they got to the member page.

If, however, I send a new user to the member.php file with this same link member.php?price_group=1 and they clicked on the "Sign up Here" link from the member.php page, this parameter does not get passed over. They will see all products not just Price Group "1" products.

Can I configure aMember to do this, to pass the Price Group ID parameter over to signup if they were redirected from the member.php page?

I hope this makes sense :)

Grant
  2. alex

alex aMember Pro Customer Staff Member

If you want to hide some products, use negative price groups for them.

Unfortunately, there are no other tricks regarding the problem you described. But we have some ideas about that will be implemented in new versions of aMember.
  3. gswaim

Alex,

I am not trying to hide any products. I am just trying to see if there is a way to use the price group variable feature with a single URL for everybody.

For instance, I could have a link in my course catalog on the Honda training page. The link could say, "To purchase Honda training courses click here"
    I would use something like:

http://www.yoursite.com/amember/member.php?price_group=3
    (assuming all Honda classes were assigned a price group of 3)

If they were registered members they would indeed see only Honda training classes listed after they logged in.

BUT

If they had not registered yet they would have to click on the "Not Registered Link" on the login page to go to the signup page. When you do this you see all the classes. The price group ID is not passed over if you have to go to the signup page.

This means I have to have two links in my Honda classes section. , like:

To purchase Honda training classes click here if you are a registered member of this site.

http://www.yoursite.com/amember/member.php?price_group=3

and

To puirchase Honda training classes click here if you have never registered with this site before.

http://www.yoursite.com/amember/signup.php?price_group=3

Hope this made sense. It would just be nice to be able to use one link instead of two..

Thanks

Grant
  4. alex

I agree there is a problem and we are working to resolve this. Only solution for this is a shopping cart interface and we are on working on it.
  5. gswaim

Alex,

This is good news!

I am using aMember to manage online course enrollment. Right now I am at 5-6 courses and displaying them all on one screen is not a problem. If the number of courses grows to a large number this could be an issue. Sure I can limit the number of courses listed by utilizing the price group parameter, but a user cannot currently enroll in classes shown on two different screens in one transaction.

By adding the shopping cart functionality I would imagine it would allow a user to view and subscribe to products on multiple pages or groupings in one transaction.

Thanks for the vision to take aMember to the next level!

Grant
  6. jomaco1

jomaco1 New Member

What's the status of the shopping cart solution you mention? I've been searching the site and the forums for a way to achieve this effect, but the options seem somewhat limited.

What I really want to be able to do is display a product on a single page with all the features of the product and give the user the option of clicking on a "buy now" button to complete the purchase. One way to do this would be to generate a unique url for each product that can be obtained via the product manager in the amember admin. I could then create a catalog within my site and assign the link to a "buy now" option.

Another way a "buy now" link could be utilized is in a product comparison table. Many sites like to offer various packages, like "silver", "gold" and "platinum"...with the benefits of each checked off in a comparison chart. A "buy now" button at the bottom of each column gives the user the opportunity to purchase the product they want based on the displayed information.

Currently, it looks like my best choice would be to create the table and link each button to the "member.php" page where they would select their purchase choice from the dropdown menu after reveiwing the product details on my html page. (I understand it is also possible to create a radio button list...but I haven't found how to do that yet)
  7. alex

Work is in progress on shopping cart right now. We went to wrong route first time, and had to start again. I will not say exact schedule dates, but beta version will be available soon.
  8. duncan_m1

duncan_m1 Challenge Media Group LLC

great question

just to clarify...there is no way to start the payment process for an existing user other than them using the member homepage?

nevermind...i found my solution somewhere else....http://www.amember.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2221

thanks