Parallel use of membership softwares?

Discussion in 'Pre-Sales Questions' started by symkimon, Oct 11, 2011.

1. symkimon

symkimon New Member

Hi ,

I have already built my auction website and I made all the login, membership in php and sql stuff my own.

I got tired of fudging with all this and want to switch to a ready package like amember. No doubt amember is capable of doing so.

However following points worry me::
    1) Do I need to base all my user account info on Amember?
    For example except the traditional member fields I am using also other fields in the same table like
    customer_id#
    subscribe_email_list
    customer_logo (a picture)
    preferences.
    customer ratings

....you get the idea.

Can I use the ADD FIELD option and add these fields to the table of Amember and then use session variables?
    Can I add them manualy? Will Amember delete them during an update or a "Build database" action?

2) I have 2 member group tables in my database with different subscriptions.
    One is free. the other you pay.

Separate login pages with different fields? (I assume yes from what I ve read)
    But how will this data be stored? Can I have it in 2 different tables?
    Now I understand all is saved in Mysql_members table.

I got it in separate tables now and I am worried if the switch will be too rough to handle.

3) Can I run it in parallel with my current system? not sure how that would work........ideas welcome.

I appreciate your responses.

sym:eek:
  2. skippybosco

skippybosco CGI-Central Partner Staff Member

1. Majority of what you are asking, yes.. things like logo might require customization since the notion of uploading and storing the image comes to play unless you are just entering a path.

2. This is handled product by product.. you can set a price (or $0) for each project.

3. What do you mean by separate login pages? With aMember you will have a centralized user account that can subscribe to one or more products concurrently (or not, depending on your preference).
  3. symkimon

symkimon New Member

By separate login I mean ...well imagine ebay.
    You have different login if you are just a buyer and if you are a seller. Because each requires different fields.

So can I have 2 separate signup.php and 2 tables? 1 for each member group?

And I guess I can add manually more fields to the amember_users table? and amember won't touch those?
  4. skippybosco

skippybosco CGI-Central Partner Staff Member

ebay users are both buyers and sellers in one account, not separate accounts so I guess I'm confused by your example. if you could provide specifics one of us may be able to be of more help to you.

you could certainly have separate signup.php forms if you like, but amember has a centralized user database