Paid Podcast using Protection on Wordpress through Amember

Discussion in 'Setting-up protection' started by ryanprodj, Aug 22, 2016.

1. ryanprodj

ryanprodj New Member

I have alot of content that is only available to my users that pay us $149/year. It includes Vimeo videos, downloadable PDF files and audio files. I have the pages protected by the amember protect plugin for Wordpress.

Now what I want to do is make the audio files available via podcast but only for those that have paid for the extra access. I'd like to have it out there that others can see the list but not allow them to be able to list or download unless they have an account with current access to the Digital Plus service time.

How can I have a podcast with Itunes that will obey the directory protection that I will put on my audio files directories but allow them to input their amember username and password for download. I've seen it done before on stuff like Coast to Coast AM through their own app and through the regular itunes podcasting app.

Would love to have it that I could RSS feed it into my magazine's app but don't see how I can get their username and password buried into it.
  2. alexander

alexander Administrator Staff Member

As I know iTunes can work with basic HTTP Authentication.
    So in order to do what you need, put all audio content into separate folder and protect it from amember CP -> Protect Content -> Folders using htpasswd protection method(make sure that you have htpasswd plugin enabled in amember CP -> Protect Content)
  3. ryanprodj

ryanprodj New Member

OK. Understood on that. I'm not turning on the protect content directory stuff yet as I'm just testing.

But if I put it as protected on the amember WordPress post protection it won't show it up in the iTunes feed that Bluberry press is generating at http://www.mobilebeat.com/feed/podcast/.

When I turn ON the amember protection on the post, it will not show in the feed.

But I need to protect the page that it's on so users surfing with a browser can only see the page with the embedded.

So I'm stuck. Need the amember protection off for the rss feed, but need the other amember protection off for the other post feed.

Suggestions?
  4. ryanprodj

ryanprodj New Member

Anyone that can help on this?
  5. alexander

alexander Administrator Staff Member

Hi,
    At the bottom of protection block there is an "Include Post in RSS feed" setting. By default that is set to "Do not include post in RSS feed". Have you tried to change that setting?
  6. ryanprodj

ryanprodj New Member

Yep it's there and works great. Didn't see it. Thanks!