OTO plugin - One Time Offer

Discussion in 'Customization & add-ons' started by olliejames, Jan 13, 2009.

1. olliejames

olliejames aMember Pro Customer

OTO plugin - One Time Offer - your thoughts wanted

Anybody game to participate in the design of the wishlist for a proper OTO plugin?

Once we know what we want I will ask Alex to custom build it.

Here are my thoughts:
    - OTO as a plugin
    - option on product page to define product as OTO, with OTO price
    - option on product page to define connected OTO

We can even link the OTO's so if a customer upgrades we show the next OTO.

I know they work so think along and spill your brains in this wishlist and we will see where this gets us.
  2. kengary

kengary aMember Pro Customer

Interesting, I also have this in my pipeline as well.

I want to be able to chain the OTO's together and have a path for when they take the OTO and a different path to a different offer if they do not take the OTO.
  3. olliejames

can you give example

OK how would that then work? Can you give an example?
  4. davidm1

davidm1 aMember User & Partner

The simplest way to do it is create a series of pre-signup pages
    eg

Page1 oto1.html
    No - go to signup.php page
    yes go to oto2.html

OTO2
    no - go to custom signup page displaying OTO1 product.
    yes - etc...

David
  5. olliejames

thanks, that makes sense

david, thanks, that makes sense, so it means do the OTO pages before you ever get into amember.

That sounds like the way to go then.
  6. movoxo

movoxo New Member

Ready to buy OTO plugin

Personally, i'd love an upsell + downsell even, which isn't so tough.

Just add in to admin panel >> products a link from one product to another higher priced product, if they click "no i'll pass" then downsell a lower priced add-on.

If Alex doesn't have time for this, perhaps a few of us could band together, get it made, and resell it?
  7. absolutjer

absolutjer New Member

Any updates on this.. I would love to buy a copy of this if it gets made ;-)
  8. mortylefkoe

mortylefkoe New Member

Want to buy OTO plugin

Please let us know when this is ready. I want it by yesterday.
  9. powerkeys

powerkeys Member

Being able to define OTO's, upsells, and downsells would make aMemberPro at least twice as valuable!

I'm ready to purchase the upgrade today if it's available.
  10. miso

miso aMember Pro Customer

True...

What I noticed, after integrating OTOs manually into thank you pages and such, ability to have it available as a step before the payment gets processed/sent to the merchant/processor.

Otherwise, what I noticed is, the user would create an account with a certain email, then after payment end up on OTO page, and there he would follow a link to the OTO which would lead back to the signup page and the user wouldn't be able to take advantage of that offer with the same account/email but would have to create a separate account just for that offer... And if the user tried to sign up with the same username/email, he'd get prompted to log into his members area, by which he'd lose the access to OTO itself...
  11. powerkeys

powerkeys Member

I've been reading through much of this forum today. Here's what I've found.

It's possible to edit the thanks.php page so that when a user signs up for a membership (free or otherwise), they are presented with an OTO, upsell, downsell,.... whatever. A different page can be defined for each membership product in the system.

(I didn't track the individual posts, but have copied them to a text file for reference.)

Code:
    switch($p.product_id )
    {
    case "1":
    $t->display("thanks_1.html");
    break;
    case "2":
    $t->display("thanks_baa.html");
    break;
    case "3":
    $t->display("thanks_2.html");
    break;
    case "4":
    $t->display("thanks_3.html");
    break;
    case "5":
    $t->display("thanks_4.html");
    break;
    case "6":
    $t->display("thanks_5.html");
    break;
    default:
    $t->display("thanks.html");
    }

Best reagrds

Dereck
    On the OTO pages themselves, you would normally give your new member 2 links -- one to say "no thanks" and the other to accept the OTO.

The "no thanks" link can open another OTO page (usually a downsell) or to the free member area, and the acceptance link can go directly to the purchase process as long as you set aMember to automatically log in a new user after the signup process.

Alex has posted a couple of examples of the direct purchase link, which looks something like:
    Code:
    www.yoursite.com/amember/member.php?action=renew&product_id=13&paysys_id=paypal_r
    A separate link may be given for each available payment option.

For now, this may be good enough to implement the intended sales structure. In the future, it would be great if we could define OTOs for each product (or OTO) through the aMember CP. Being able to chain OTOs together may be more sophisticated than most users want, but would certainly give a lot of options.
  12. codeispoetry

codeispoetry aMember Pro Customer

Hi guys,

If you are interested in the OTO plugin and/or want to input/contribute (e.g. features, methods, etc) to the end product of the plugin, please log your interest at our website!

Cheers,
    Lee
  13. jenolan

jenolan aMember Coder

Just a heads up Lee .. OTO is on my task list too .. just so you know I wasn't stealing :)
  14. miso

miso aMember Pro Customer

why don't you two get together and develop a single plugin, while putting all the ideas into it...?
  15. kengary

kengary aMember Pro Customer

Well, I've done OTO for one customer...

I've already done an OTO process for one customer. It was not a plugin ... more of a customization project but they are very happy with it.

I did one version where there was only one checkout at the end. The products were accumulated so they could all go on one order. My client was afraid the high price at the end would scare them off from completing the order so I changed it so that it goes through the cc page each time they make a decision. It would not be a cool thing to do but as I'm thinking about it now I suppose it could remember the payment info and automatically submit it after the first time if you are doing straight CC. I don't recommend that though. So I could do it either way you'd want...one order-at-a-time or all products on one order (if you can work with multiple products per order being turned on...some can't).

But essentially they have three levels of upsells. At the bottom of each OTO page the customer can choose to take one of the options on the page (that's right, your OTO could have choices) or say No, Thank you. The first OTO goes to the second offer whether they take it or not. But if they say no to the second offer then they are taken to a downsell page before they are taken to the third offer. If they do not take the third offer they are taken to a downsell page related to that. So in all there are 5 levels even though they are labeled as 3 steps of the checkout process.

Each step of the OTO process takes their current order history into account so if the upsell (or downsell) is already owned by the member (or because of the rules you've set up for your products does not make sense) then that step is skipped and they see the next step.

That way it's great for sending anyone through...new customers or existing customers...to pick up what they may not have purchased from you yet.

The whole process ends up on the member page, not the thank you page. Unfortunately it is not all captured on one order, so you end up with an order each time they say yes...so there cannot be just one receipt on the thank you page.

SIDE NOTE: My customer actually wanted them to end up at a survey which we put the questions to in their profile...so after the OTO process we go to a special version of the profile page ... with non-survey relevent questions removed. Then they export those survey results and send them to their call center. They use to send them to a Survey Monkey survey but then had to spend a lot of time merging them with the rest of the contact info. Now they just get it all together straight out of aMember.

Like I said. I've done this once and it works really well. I haven't done it on my own site yet because I'm just starting to get my own products for sale rather than working for hire on other people's sites.

I do hope to be able to systematize it (is that a word?) more but I don't know if I can ever boil it down to a plain plugin or not. It's kinda fancy. ;-D

If you're seriously interested in this happening on your site, then let me know and we can talk about the details of a custom project.

It's not theory.
  16. dan_kelly

dan_kelly New Member

Feature Request for OTO plugin:

ONE-CLICK upsells for Authorize.net (AIM Integration) users (i.e. Me).

Each product has an OTO page; if they click "Yes" they are charged automatically and the payment/product is added to their account.

I'd gladly pay for a working one-click upsell plug-in.

---

Where can I find out more info about:

It doesn't solve the one-click upsell problem, but it sounds like it solves another problem I'm having.

Thanks!
  17. powerkeys

powerkeys Member

Hi Daniel,

That link is an example of submitting the Order form from within the member area as a link instead of a form. You can modify that to match any product and any payment system available to the order form on that page.

What else would you like to know?

Oh, BTW - I'd also like to see more features for upgrades, not only in the signup/OTO process, but also through the member's area.
  18. dan_kelly

dan_kelly New Member

Thanks for the rundown. I guess it doesn't fix my problem.

I've added a "thank you URL" to my product config. The user is sent here when they complete their purchase.

My problem is that the user is not logged in when they hit this page. It would be VERY helpful if they were. For one thing, I could avoid offering them a product that they already own.

Any thoughts?
  19. powerkeys

powerkeys Member

Have you checked the option for members to be automatically logged in when they complete the signup process?
  20. dan_kelly

dan_kelly New Member

Yep. :)

"Automatically login customer after signup" is checked.

Here's the technical details of what's happening in the users' browsers:

They signup.php.
    They pay (cc.php or PayPal).
    They are directed to thanks.php after either.
    The template "thanks.html" redirects them to the URL set in the product.

When they get to that page, the SESSION variables are not set yet.

I can log in manually, then go to that page; and the user session IS there.

---

I was thinking one solution might be to send them to login.php, and add code to redirect them in there.

Like: http://www.samedomain.com/amember/login.php?otourl=http://www.samedomain.com/upsell-page.html

Any thoughts?