One web site, multiple domain names

Discussion in 'Pre-Sales Questions' started by skippybosco, Feb 5, 2004.

1. skippybosco

skippybosco Guest

I am a Pro customer. Awesome product and great support.

My web site has multiple domain names associated to it, but they are all on the same server pointing to various subdirectories.

Example:
    sellmycar.com (root domain) (\htmlpublic\)
    • sellmyford.com (add-on domain)(\htmlpublic\ford) (also available as ford.sellmycar.com and sellmycar.com/ford)
    • sellmychevy.com (add-on domain) (\htmlpublic\chevy)(also available as chevy.sellmycar.com and sellmycar.com/chevy)
    • sellmydodge.com (add-on domain) (\htmlpublic\dodge)(also available as dodge.sellmycar.com and sellmycar.com/dodge)
    • amember installed to (\htmlpublic\amember)

Is it possible to share a amember installation in this manner so that purchases made on sellmycar.com can apply to the other "ad-on domains"?

Sorry for the long post.

Thank You so much!!
    Frank :confused:
  2. alex

alex aMember Pro Customer Staff Member

Frank,
    it depends on protection method you are using. It is possible with htpasswd without any problems, but there will be problems with another methods.

Which method of protection are you going to use?
  3. skippybosco

skippybosco Guest

re: one site, multiple domain names

Hi alex,

I am currently using htpasswd, but was considering changing over to mod rewrite. For this type of configuration do you have a reccomendation?

Frank
  4. alex

alex aMember Pro Customer Staff Member

Unfortunately, for such configuration as you have, only htpasswd will work.

If you consider to move all protected content to the same domain with aMember, then all protection methods can be used (of course, if hosting supports)