Newsletters vs e-mail

Discussion in 'Pre-Sales Questions' started by pewe, Jul 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pewe

pewe New Member

I have set up a demo of AM 5 and it all seems straight forward enough - apart from getting my head around the 'Newsletter' feature.

In the settings there are 3 headings

Under USERS:
    There is 'E-mail Users', which allows emailing a new message to selected users. As this feature is disabled in the demo I can only assume that once sent the message will appear in the list at the bottom of the page - but not sure if it could be resent, or if the recipients could be change before being resent.

Under PROTECTED CONTENT:
    There is 'E-Mail Messages', which appears to allow the setting up of automated e-mail to be sent using a pre-defined but limited amount of criteria (eg on sign up or expiration of a subscription etc) to specified groups of members.

Under PROTECT CONTENT:
    There is 'Newsletters', which appears to allow setting up a newsletter to add to the list, but nothing further. There is a heading called 'link' which appears to have no way to use as it is not in the setup form, and there appears to be nowhere to setup the content of Newsletters.

So all in all, although there is an e-mail facility, the Newsletter feature in Amember appears almost non existent as it appears that to have a Newsletter facility means signing up to one of scripts included in the list of the 'plug-ins' on the configuration page?

Is this correct, or am I missing something.
  2. caesar

caesar aMember Pro Developer Staff Member

Yes, you are right - email sent to users and appear in history below email user form.
    You can resend it from history and change either receipts or message itself before resend it.

In section Newsletters you can set up Newsletter list and define access permissions to it.
    Only users with proper access will be able to subscribe to this list (you can set this list to auto subscribe once user get proper access permission). Then you can email your newsletters at
    aMember CP -> Users -> E-Mail Users
    You will have search criteria - 'Subscribed for specific Newsletter List'

Another option is integration with 3ty part mail list software or service (GetResponse, mailChimp etc).
    You can activate plugin (all newsletter plugins is included to aMember by default) and all your list from these 3ty part software/service will appear in section -
    aMemeber CP -> Protect Content -> Newsletters

You can specify access permissions for these list and user will be automatically added/removed to these list in 3ty part software/service based on his active subscriptions in aMember.

Integration with 3ty part newsletter services is optional feature and it is not required if you do not need it.

Best Regards.
  3. pewe

pewe New Member

Thanks for the confirmation.

What is puzzling me is this - and maybe I can't see it because it is a demo.
    In the demo there are 2 newsletters already set up, one is a 'Site' newsletter with no product specified, the other is a 'Restricted' newsletter for a specific product group.

Where do I add the content for this newsletter as the headings are not referred to anywhere else in the admin section.
    Also, how do members who are subscribed to the newsletter view it?
  4. caesar

caesar aMember Pro Developer Staff Member

Subscribers receive your newsletter messages to his emails.
    You can send your newsletter at
    aMember CP -> Users -> E-Mail Users

Click 'Simple Search Users' and choose your newsletter list from section 'Subscribed to Newsletter'
  5. pewe

pewe New Member

Thanks
    caesar likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.