newsletter subscription issue

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by chris_nerat, Jan 1, 2016.

1. chris_nerat

chris_nerat Member

I have 31 new users, all of whom purchased the same product in advance with a starting date of 1/1/2016. My problem is that less than 10 of those users were automatically added to my newsletter subscription, which is necessary for them to begin receiving my dripped content. Once I manually added them via the "user info" tab within aMember everything was good, but why did some get auto-subscribed and others did not? Again, these members all purchased the same product -- What may have caused this and what can I do to prevent this from happening again?

Here is the message I see in my "Utilities/Logs" within aMember:
    Rate limit exceeded (API requests per customer account per minute). https://labs.aweber.com/docs/troubleshooting#ratelimiterror

Hmmm...after posting this and seeing the above link it looks as though this may be an AWeber issue and not an aMember problem...has anyone else experienced this?

Thank you, and Happy New Year!

Chris
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2016
  2. robw

robw CGI-Central Partner

Hi Chris,

AWeber limits the number of "requests" any application can make to its API to 60 per minute, and a lookup/subscribe can take a couple of requests to fully execute.

This isn't usually an issue when it comes to individual sales, as the likelihood of 20 people purchasing in a single minute is unlikely (we all wish!)

But when it comes to batch updates - such as imports, rebuilds etc, then the limit can be reached pretty quickly.

Cheers
    Rob
  3. chris_nerat

chris_nerat Member

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the reply! Yes, I now have AWeber looking into this for me to see if there is any form of workaround for my situation. It seems that because I have groups of people (company employees) purchasing memberships to my site in advance with all employees then being activated on the same day, I will no doubt exceed this limit regularly. However, I don't believe AWeber will be able to do anything from their end, so I will most likely need to see if aMember can find a way to make this work for me.

Thanks
    Chris
  4. robw

robw CGI-Central Partner

Hi Chris,

There is a second AWeber newsletter plugin that aMember provide, which bypasses the API entirely, which could be an option. It uses an email parser approach rather than the API.

You can enable it in the same place as you enabled the main AWeber newsletter plugin:
    Configuration>Plugins>Newsletters>AWeber Email

Cheers
    Rob
  5. chris_nerat

chris_nerat Member

Thanks -- I'm assuming there must be pros and cons with regards to the parser vs. API methods so I'll look into them.