newbie questions

Discussion in 'Pre-Sales Questions' started by nicknormal, Jan 6, 2008.

1. nicknormal

nicknormal New Member

hi Everyone!
    I'm new to the forums, and have some pre-sales questions (obviously!).

Honestly I'm a little confused by the way in which aMember works, and I've toyed with all the DEMO areas. My experience on these issues is moderate - I can read through readme files and manuals to the T, but some people say aMember's documentation is a bit poor, so that has me concerned. But I can see the support here on the forums is pretty extensive!

what i'm confused about:

if i purchase aMember, can I as a developer use it on multiple sites/domains on various hosts? or is each download of aMember restricted to one site? i don't see any mention of this. obviously I want to use it on 2 or 3 sites!

the plugin integration page says 'most plugins are priced $40'. well, how much is the WordPress plugin? and how do you purchase those? I don't see any place to purchase plugins only.

Zend Optimizer installed into php.ini - can someone point me in the direction of documentation on how to do this? since it is required after all.

I have my WordPress installed to a folder beyond the root folder i.e. domain.com/wordpress/ - does aMember go INSIDE the wordpress folder or above it, in the main directory? it must go in the wordpress folder, alongside the WordPress files, no?

SO! I'm looking to use WordPress as my CMS and build a membership subscription site. I would need aMember plus aMember's WordPress plugin, correct? I'm looking specifically to use ccBill as my payment gateway! is there anybody out there who can point me to a website they run or developed which has done exactly this, so I can see it live? WordPress 2.3.x integrated with aMember 3.0.9 that specifically charges monthly one-off or recurring subscription services with ccBill?!?

thank you so much!
    Nick
  2. nicknormal

nicknormal New Member

7 days. no response? anybody?
  3. davidm1

davidm1 aMember User & Partner

I dont work for amember but think I can answer most of your questions.

Q: if i purchase aMember, can I as a developer use it on multiple sites/domains on various hosts? or is each download of aMember restricted to one site? i don't see any mention of this. obviously I want to use it on 2 or 3 sites!

A: You need to buy a license for each domain

Q: the plugin integration page says 'most plugins are priced $40'. well, how much is the WordPress plugin? and how do you purchase those? I don't see any place to purchase plugins only.

A: The wordpress plugin is currently priced at $40. It is available once you buy an aMember license.

Q: Zend Optimizer installed into php.ini - can someone point me in the direction of documentation on how to do this? since it is required after all.

A: Ask you webhosting company if it is installed or if they can install it for you.

Q: I have my WordPress installed to a folder beyond the root folder i.e. domain.com/wordpress/ - does aMember go INSIDE the wordpress folder or above it, in the main directory? it must go in the wordpress folder, alongside the WordPress files, no?

A: This depends on your sites design, but in general it can be in any directory you like. If you want to make the blog totally private, you can just stick it in a subdirectory like /wp/ and protect it with amember. If you want some content private, you can put it in your root directory or a subdirectory, and protect the specific content using the worpress plugin hidepost.

Q: with ccBill?!
    A: I havent used ccBill.

You can see a demo wordpress amember site here http://www.wordpressamember.com

Good luck,

David
  4. nicknormal

nicknormal New Member

davidm1,
    thanks for the reply mate! the 'license for each domain' was actually what i feared most! thanks for the hidepost plugin mention, I wasn't aware of that one. I have a development server so I'll put all this to the test soon.

and I assume you help manage the Membership Academy site?

cheers,
    Nick
  5. reneesanguinetti

reneesanguinetti New Member

which domain name to use?

Hello,

I am in the process of ordering A Member Pro. On the registration form is a question about the domain name. I have a website with a domain name also have Blue Host with a domain name. I have created a subdomain with a redirect with Blue Host for my website. I would like to know which domain I enter to answer the question. I don't want to upload the program using the wrong name. I will be uploading to Blue Host.

Thank-you - Renee
  6. codeispoetry

codeispoetry aMember Pro Customer

Hi Renee,

This should help with your questions:

What URL will you type into your browser to get to your website?

E.g. for this website, you will type "www.amember.com" or "amember.com". So the URL to input is "amember.com" (yes, drop the "www.")

Lee