New Installation Permission Issues

Discussion in 'Installation' started by TeamSDA, Feb 5, 2016.

?

FOR INSTALL

1. New Installation

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Permissions Issue

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. TeamSDA

TeamSDA New Member

Hello aMember Community... Ran into an issue a couple days ago and going around in circles with tech support. The following is the issue and the way I finally got things to work. While all seems good now, I would like to identify the cause of the issue as making updates and reinstalling the system on new servers is something that will be done from time to time.

THE ISSUE
    After uploading the amember file to my public directory, its folders and .htacces and other files don’t have proper permissions thus the script does not display or run properly. I get server warning regarding permission issues (Note this is my servers prompt not an aMember permissions prompt). After following all recommended permissions tweaks I can limp along but many more files are very clearly without proper permissions as images don’t display, css files are not able to be accessed and more. Further once I get through the installation process I am not able to login and the page is clearly not being styled.

The only way I have been able to get things to work smoothly is to follow the steps I have outlined below. Would value your input regarding all this as the the aMember support team is pointing to it being a server issue but not sure if that is the case as I have not had any other issue like this with other scripts and such. Further, when checking permissions right after downloading to my desktop from aMember, permissions seem to be off from the get go.

STEPS I HAD TO TAKE FOR INSTALL TO WORK
    • Download aMember Pro from aMember site (Either version).
    • Once downloaded to my Mac the amember file is already uncompressed.
    • Right clicked file and selected get info.
    • Set privileges to Read & Write for all users.
    • Applied all privileges to all inclosed files.
    • Uploaded amember file to server using SFTP via Transmit.
    After taking the above steps I was able to navigate to the setup folder and proceed as per aMember documentation with no further warnings or issues. Also I spot checked the permissions once all the files were on my server and the permission seem to have been adjusted once they were uploaded, e.g. the "library" folder is now 755 and the .htaccess file inside is now 664.

I hope what I have provided is clear and helpful and look forward to a response.

Kind Regards,
    Dave
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
  2. TeamSDA

TeamSDA New Member

Hello Community... I am adding my questions below as I am new to this forum and could not find the place to edit my post, would value guidance as to where this feature is. Also it seems when I went to submit this post it required me to setup a user voting area at the top. Would value input as to what I may have done here as it seems a little silly, not really sure what it is for?

QUESTIONS FOR ORIGINAL POST
    • What would be the cause for aMember files downloading to my desktop with permissions issues? I am basing this on the fact that scripts from other developers download and SFTP up to my server with proper permissions.
    • While I am able to get things working using my workaround (see original post), it is my understanding that permissions for a script like this should actually be as follows? Note, my original post has a typo, folders permissions are actually 775.
      • Folders - 755
      • Files - 644
      • Config Files - 600
      • If these permissions are in fact the correct ones, is there a list for all aMember config files so I can manually set there permissions to 600?
    • Would value any further input from an experienced aMember user and someone knowledgeable with server configurations? While the aMember software looks to be quite well designed, the permissions have to be correct at a file and folder level first.

Kind Regards,
    Dave
  3. microvb

microvb Member

Dave,

You are right with regards to what the permissions should be on modern server configurations. In addition, you should run : chmod o-w : on all files and folders to disable world write. I am unsure of the specific resulting bitmask, however it seems that 755 on folders and 644 on files still allows world writing.

Additionally, with this method, you can keep the config file at 644 as long as you disable world writing privileges subsequently.
  4. TeamSDA

TeamSDA New Member

Hello Microvb... Thank you for your response. As aMember was not able to provide any helpful support, I worked with another developer with server administration experience to resolve the issue. Below is our findings, hope others find this helpful. Also note that I mention Transmit, this is my SFTP tool of choice, others may differ in settings and approach.

CAUSE: I am using Safari as my browser and it has a setting to open (unzip) files instead of downloading them as is. The strange thing is that this permissions issue only happens when downloading for certain servers. It appears that files from the aMember servers are being unzipped and given the incorrect permissions at this point.

SOLUTION 1: Uncheck the above setting in safari, download the file as a zip, upload to my server, and use SSH Command in Transmit to unzip the file on my server.

SOLUTION 2: Let Safari download and unzip the file but use Transmits tool to assign permissions to all files as 644 and all folders as 755 at time of upload.

Kind Regards,
    Dave