Multiple Subs

Discussion in 'Pre-Sales Questions' started by Lisa, Jul 12, 2003.

1. Lisa

Lisa Guest

I need a members script that does the following, as your feature list states:

"Members may have multiple subscriptions simultaneously (for different products) with only one username/password for all them"

However, I actually need Members to have multiple subscriptions simultaneously but for the same product, with only one username/password for all them.

The reason is, my clients will need the same type of subscription for every website they want to have monitored by our system. So the subscription is the same, but their website for that subscription is different.

Is it possible to customize aManager to do this?
  2. alex-adm

alex-adm Guest

No customization required - it works in this way already, for example on our site ;)
  3. Lisaweb

Lisaweb Guest

Where on your site? Can you show me an example?

Thanks! :)
  4. alex-adm

alex-adm Guest

5. Lisaweb

Lisaweb Guest

I'm sorry, I don't see how this allows multiple subscriptions simultaneously for the same product.

Can you please elaborate?

Is it that if a customer (myself) were to order aManager, they could go back and order the same software again, under the same usename, but under a different domain name?

I wouldn't persist but that it's an essential feature we'll need.

Thanks again,
    Lisa
  6. pilot

pilot New Member

Hi Lisa

I think Alex is on vacation at the moment, but if I can help....

I have one product on my website and have 'tied' many subscriptions types to it. These subscription types relate to payment processors, so a user has only to choose for instance if they wanted to by by worldpay click here or by nochex click here, if you see what I mean.

What is nice about Amemberpro, apart from good support is that it is modular. You create a product and then you create subscription(s) for it, as many as you like.

As I said I have one product and six subscriptions for it, for me they vary for payment processor choice, but you could set up yours differently. Be sure of one thing, if it is possible then Alex is the person to do it. If your Mods needs new code then Alex is very reasonable.
  7. Lisaweb

Lisaweb Guest

Hi Pilot,

Thanks much for taking the time to help me out. I think I'm beginning to understand.

Please let me know if I'm on the right track:

MY clients will need the same type of subscription for every website they want to have monitored by our system. Since I will have no way of knowing what their website URL will be, I cannot create subscriptions based on that. But I could create a dummy field for each subscription, numbered 1url, 2url, 3url, 4url, 5url, and so on, and use that to distinguish each seperate subscription. So it technically makes each subscription different. It just means I'll have to create 50 different subscriptions! Whew!

Is my thinking correct?

Thanks,
    Lisa
  8. Christos

Christos Guest

Hi,

I think what Alex said at the beginning is correct.

You did understood how it works but I think this dummy field brings no advatages.

e.g.

1) User 1 subscribes to product A. The price is $5 for 1 Year. -> One URL.
    2) Six months later User 1 subscribes to product A for an additional URL. He pays again $5 for one year.
    Now his got 2 URLs registered.
    3) Six months later the first subscriptions expires. Now his account covers again only one URL.

If you go now to the adminCP / browse users/ payments/ you will see how many URLs that User 1
    has subscribed to, which ones are active, which ones expired.
    If you would have the dummy URLs, you wouldn't have more info.

Maybe I am wrong,
    Cheers,
    Christos
  9. Lisaweb

Lisaweb Guest

Christos,

You said:
    "1) User 1 subscribes to product A. The price is $5 for 1 Year. -> One URL.
    2) Six months later User 1 subscribes to product A for an additional URL. He pays again $5 for one year.
    Now his got 2 URLs registered.
    3) Six months later the first subscriptions expires. Now his account covers again only one URL."

So am I to understand that members can subscribe to the same product over and over again, having several subscriptions that are exactly the same, and amember will distinguish between them all? How does it do this? Does every sub have a hidden field that differentiates it from another?

Thanks for your help,
    Lisa
  10. Christos

Christos Guest

Hi Lisa,

yes a user can subscribe to the same product as many times as he wants.
    It is up to you to "understand" what's going on in regards to your products.

Therefore another example:

User 1 subscribe to Product A on 15th July 2003. He pay $5 for one year.
    The same Day he subscribes again to product A and pays again $5.

If you check the user payments, you will see that he has 2 active payments,
    BUT if you check the dates, you will see the following:

1st subscription valid from 15.07.2003 until 15.07.2004
    2nd subscription valid from 15.07.2004 until 15.07.2005 (!)
    This is normal as the user got the same product twice.

So it depends on how you explain/understand how the product works for you.
    For the one the User1 got 1 subscription for two time frames, for the other the user
    got 1 subscription for 2 URLs. The important thing here is that you have to keep an eye on the users payments.

In your situation you can manually change the second subscription dates to the same as the first one.
    Then you will have 2 identical subscriptions for the same product and the same timeframe.
    aMember is flexible and allow you to do that.

Cheers,
    Christos

Guys: I am just a customer, please feel free to correct me if you think that his is not the way it works :)
  11. Lisaweb

Lisaweb Guest

Christos,

Thanks for helping me out on this. It's much appreciated.

I think this is going to work well for me, as it won't matter to me when the person signs up for his second, third, or even 20th copy of the same subscription, as I will want each sub to expire relative to the date they signed up for it. In other words, I don't need them to all expire the same day. As long as each subscription has a unique URL field, we've slid home!

But why do I need to keep track of payments? Is this if I was concerned that they all needed to expire the same day? Or is it another reason?

Thanks again,
    Lisa
  12. Christos

Christos Guest

Hi Lisa,

let me correct myself from the first post:

Even if the user1 subscribes to the same product 6 months later,
    the 2nd subscription will be begin after the end of the first one.
    e.g.
    1st Sub on 15.07.2003 -> valid 15.07.2003 until 15.07.2004
    2nd Sub on 15.12.2003 -> valid 15.07.2004 until 15.07.2005
    (modify to 15.12.2003 until 15.12.2004)

1st Sub on 15.07.2003 -> valid 15.07.2003 until 15.07.2004
    2nd Sub on 15.07.2003 -> valid 15.07.2004 until 15.07.2005
    (modify 15.07.2003 until 15.07.2004)

so in both cases you need to modify the subscription dates to fit your needs.

Cheers,
    Christos
  13. Lisaweb

Lisaweb Guest

Christos,

:eek: Yikes! Looks like I'm going to need Alex's help on this one. I didn't realize that if the same user buys a second subscription it just lengthens the time of the original subscription. I need to have each seperate sub have it's own time line, independent of any previous subscriptions.

And there are just too many subscriptions for me to change all the dates manually. That would be a big mess. So I guess I'm going to need a mod for this one.

How do I contact Alex directly when he's back from his - much deserved - vacation?

Thanks,
    Lisa
  14. pilot

pilot New Member

Lisa

If you email

support@cgi-central.net

I am sure Alex will get back to you asap

Cliff
  15. alexander

alexander Administrator Staff Member

Hi Lisa,
    Yes it can be done, after small aMember modification.
    I have some questions for you, about kind of subscriptions do you offer.

I suppose, you need integration with your monitoring system as well?

Could you contact me at alexander@cgi-central.net ?