Multiple Domain

Discussion in 'Pre-Sales Questions' started by lifestyle, Feb 17, 2009.

1. lifestyle

lifestyle New Member

Hi - I have multiple blogs on different domain names and I want to add paid membership to each one of them. Is the $179 for one license use meaning one domain use or I can use the license in all of my domains?
  2. codeispoetry

codeispoetry aMember Pro Customer

Hey lifestyle,

You will get a license key, which is for only 1 domain.

Lee
  3. skippybosco

skippybosco CGI-Central Partner Staff Member

If all of the blogs are on one server (and depending on your configuration) you can protect all of them using aMember and one license.

root/
    root/blog1/amember
    root/blog2
    root/blog3

If you want to do post level protection you will need to be using Wordpress MU (I assume that works, but I have not tested it)
  4. hittpubl

hittpubl New Member

You can control memberships across multiple domains if everything is on the same server like @skippybosco points out. You'll want to process all sign-up and back-end on a single domain that you have licensed.

Amember is a powerful tool, but you'll need to customize and create more products. For example: Users who sign up for one site will need to be isolated in a single product linked to the site they joined, otherwise they will have access to all your sites.

This gets difficult if you are using multiple plug-in, or using multiple servers. If in doubt, hire Alex's team to set it up for you. They are very good at what they do.

Best,

Justin
  5. storehunt

storehunt New Member

You will run into various problems and/or not be able to use all of amember's site protection options when trying to protect directories off of the licensed domain. I would highly recommend requesting a multiple purchase discount and installing amember on each domain. It will be worth it in the long run!

Steve
  6. skippybosco

skippybosco CGI-Central Partner Staff Member

Steve,

I have this running on numbers of sites with no problems at all. Can you elaborate on which features options you are having problems with?

The only limitation that we have run into is:

1) Must signup and login from a centralized domain
    2) If you are protecting multiple versions third party software it is necessary to copy the plugin to create unique configurations for each. (this is not necessary for directory level protection)
  7. codeispoetry

codeispoetry aMember Pro Customer

I think it's great that aMember is so versatile that you can have many sites and only one centralized domain.

But don't you think it's more professional, less confusing and present a more "solid" website to have:
    1) yoursite.com/amember/login.php from yoursite.com VS
    2) yoursite.com/amember/login.php from somewidgetsite.com ?

I have chanced upon some sites online that implement (2), and I closed the browser because I didn't think they were trustworthy enough to purchase from. Instead, a similar site that implemented (1) won my trust instead.

I guess the better case for this is if you market under one name, e.g. "John Doe", and the centralized domain is "johndoemembers.com", you can have "widgetred.com", "widgetblue.com", etc directed to johndoemembers.com for downloads/product delivery) given that it is within the same industry (one of the "big boys" in IM is using this method, but of course "big boys" tend to have built their credibility factor).

Lee