Moving my aMember Service to a New Webhost

Discussion in 'Installation' started by ionsaliu, Mar 14, 2014.

1. ionsaliu

ionsaliu Member

Yes, I had read plenty of complaints about the GoDaddy web hosting company. They gave me some good financial incentives — and I stayed with them for too many years! It is the convenience, first and foremost. I own a big website, with over 1000 pages. Plus, I have a paid-membership service to certain areas. Plus-plus, I have a forum.

Now, I’ve had it with GoDaddy! I will move to another web host, as time-consuming and frustrating it might be.

Forgive if my question was asked before:

Can I simply upload the aMember files to the new webhost? Or – Do I have to buy a new license?

I have a backup MySQL database on my PC.

Thank you in advance.

Ion Saliu
  2. thehpmc

thehpmc Member

If it uses the same domain name then the same licence will work.

Download existing aMember files and upload them to new host. Database can also be copied across. If both sites use cPanel then the entire site can be copied across using it.

You will have to make a few tweaks, such as protection etc. but everything should work ok.
  3. ionsaliu

ionsaliu Member

Thanks a lot, thehpmc! I appreciate your input.

I am using 3.X version of aMember. How is the latest version? Maybe it is easier to start with the latest version of aMember.
  4. thehpmc

thehpmc Member

Don't think V3 is supported any more. Definitely would upgrade to latest version.

Put it this way if you are going to have any problems transferring and maybe upgrading I would have thought you would be better off changing hosts and getting everything working properly while you still have the old site working.
  5. ionsaliu

ionsaliu Member

"Your existing aMember Pro installation will work for lifetime according to license agreement, but to receive upgrades and support, you may purchase subscription renewal."

I currently have version 3.x. What do I get if I pay $80 for a 12-month upgrade? Do I get the latest version of aMember?

Ion Saliu

6. caesar

caesar aMember Pro Developer Staff Member

@ionsaliu Yes, you will get access to latest version and access to license key for version 4 for your licensed domain.