More info re Donation Plugin Please

Discussion in 'Customization & add-ons' started by ak48avk, Jul 21, 2015.

1. ak48avk

ak48avk Angela Kane

I'm interested in adding this plugin. It's not clear how the donation is sent.

I'm in the UK. Can funds be wired directly to my account from any country as well as the UK?

Is there any risk declaring my banking details within this plugin?

What is needed in the way of account details for this international transfer?

What method is used for the transfer?

Are there fees? In other words, is it feasible say for a £1 donation.

I'm very interested in the idea of Fan Funding. It's live on YouTube as a Support Button in the US, Australia, Mexico and Japan. It's not yet worldwide but should be soon. I have quite a busy YouTube channel and I would like to put all my premium videos out for Free when this option is available. The payments go through Google wallet with a small fee.

In the meantime I have my own Fan Funding options https://angelakane.com/fan-funding/ using PayPal buttons but I can't use a variable amount this way and of course there is a fee.

I would like to point out in case anyone out there doesn't know, you must not under any circumstances use the PayPal Donate button for commercial purposes. They are very strict and they will take back all funds if you try.

The aMember Donate button sounds like a good option but it would have to be a no fee transfer and automatic for it to be useful. I'm not interested in processing physical cheques through my account.

More information would be much appreciated.

Thanks
  2. alexander

alexander Administrator Staff Member

Angela plugin is simple enough it allow to create a product where user can specify price himself.
    All other parts of amember will work as usual. So user go to signup page specify price and then payment will be processed through payment system which you have enabled.
  3. ak48avk

ak48avk Angela Kane

Thank you Alexander. I thought afterwards that was probably the case.

The example in the documentation shows the Payment System as Offline Payment and I thought perhaps the donate plugin was a special case. I shall definitely be using this. It's a great feature.

I say again, I think Fan Funding is going to be very important in the future. Imagine all those interesting sites freeing themselves from the need to have hundreds of ugly annoying ads. When people get used to the idea of ad free sites many will be only to pleased to donate a little.

I give free access to some of my PDF sewing patterns and other sewing guides and this is where the donate feature would be really useful.

I'd be interested to hear other peoples views on Fan Funding.
  4. hilary

hilary aMember Pro Customer

Angela - or anyone using this plugin - does it allow you to set a minimum donation? I'm looking at 'pay what you want' pricing, and that quite often uses a minimum donation. 'Give anything over $1 and get the book, give anything over $15 and get these bonuses too...' kind of thing.
  5. ak48avk

ak48avk Angela Kane

Hi Hilary,

I hadn't got around to adding it but I quickly threw something together to see how it works.

https://angelakane.com/amember/signup/NJlQBB3e

Yes, I think it will do what you want. I just added one product, minimum £1 and opted for the product not to show as there is no choice.

If I understand it correctly you could have say three products, set with minimums £1, £5, £15 say. Add to the form with choice buttons. You will then be able to recognise how much they paid from the product and link them to their free product in the usual way.

Looks to me like a very useful plugin and I'm going to start using it soon.
  6. hilary

Super, thanks for your reply! (Somehow I have a gift for coming up with Amember questions at weekends... :rolleyes:)

Your website looks lovely, by the way - very elegant and clear.
  7. hilary

Update: thing learned:

The donations plugin does allow you to set a minimum donation.

Also, if you create a recurring payment plan for the product in question, you can have your signup form display a little tiny checkbox to 'make donation recurring'. This box is unchecked and you can't make it checked by default.

So... the plugin as it stands is perfect for 'pay what you want' for a single-payment product but not so useful for 'pay what recurring subscription you want' for, say, an incrementally delivered course. The customer has to notice that little tiny checkbox, realise what it means (and what not checking it means) and choose to click it. If they don't, they lose their membership (and if you were using incremental delivery they're going to be annoyed when they rejoin and find themselves back at the start of the sequence).

However, I have just ordered a custom modification that will make the donation recur automatically until cancelled, like an ordinary recurring subscription, by default. It'll become possible to say, 'Choose your monthly payment' and not require the customer to check a box to confirm. Since in the past, a custom plugin I've ordered has been added to the Amember catalogue of available plugins (the jv plugin), hopefully the same will happen here.