Merging accounts

Discussion in 'Payments processing' started by xindexer, Oct 31, 2011.

1. xindexer

xindexer Member

I'm running a "Freemium" business model and I have a customer who wants to transfer his account to his sister. He is currently a paying customer and she is not. She is subscribed to product #1 (the free membership) and he is subscribed to product #1 and 4 (which he is paying for with Paypal monthly)

I would like to merge his account into hers (so paying account into free account). Will the paypal payments follow this account merge? The last thing that I want is to merge the accounts and then have the payments stop.

Haven't tried merging accounts and am worried about how the end results will turn out.

Thanks
  2. davidm1

davidm1 aMember User & Partner

What paypal payment system are you using? Who will be paying after the merge?

David
  3. xindexer

xindexer Member

paypal_r

member A is the free account holder
    member B is the paying member

I want to merge B into A while maintaining the payment that is coming in from B

Here's the hangup that I've been having. I have a separate licensing agreement setup with a third party and we use the member login to verify the license between our databases. What I need with this merge is to have the login from A remain the same while B continues to pay the bills.

Can I merge A into B then change the login? Will that affect the paypal monthly subscription? I don't know what the script uses to tie a member to the payment info that paypal sends out. I would assume that there is some key stored behind the scenes but I want to make sure that I can do the merge without it affecting the payment process.
  4. alexander

alexander Administrator Staff Member

Everything should work after merge.
    Payment_id will not be changed for existing payments, only member_id will be changed in payment record.
    Paypal plugin use payment_id to identify payment when it receive IPN messages from paypal, so if payment_id is not changed, everything will work as it should.
  5. miso

miso aMember Pro Customer

Will this work for Authorize.net plugins as well (AIM and CIM)?

And how is the member merge done in aMember admin?
  6. alexander

no, because only payments will be moved and current account will be deleted (so CC info or Profile info will be lost)
    amember CP -> Edit User -> Actions -> Move User Payments To A Different Account And Delete Current Customer Record
  7. miso

well, what if I move an account without a payment record of any sort INTO the one with payment records (Auth.net payments)??

wouldn't that delete the current account (which doesn't have any payments associated with it) and merge it with the one that has payment records?
  8. alex

alex aMember Pro Customer Staff Member

What is the reason to move account without payment records? Why do not just delete it?
  9. miso

a few hundred accounts will be imported manually from vBulletin, and those people will have aMember records already, but different usernames in the two systems, hence why they'd need to be merged into one account somehow.

unless the aMember is that smart to recognize the same email being imported (as the one in the system already), even if the login is different, and merge it with the existing record... in which case that will present a different set of problems - which username to keep (amember one or the vBulletin one), and I'd rather not leave that to aMember to automatically figure out.

p.s. - when doing an import, and if the usernames and emails are the same as the existing amember ones, would they be skipped/ignored, I'd assume?
  10. alex

Miso,
    there is a great ability in v4 tgat you do not necessary have to import your accounts from vBulletin.

If you have integration configured, users can enter their vBulletin username and password into aMember, and they will be added to aMember with same username/password/email.
  11. miso

we're working with v3 here... the client is not gonna be upgrading to v4 any time soon.
  12. alexander

aMember only check username in import. Users with duplicate emails will be imported, users with duplicate usernames will not be imported.
    back to you prevoius question:

Here is how aMember merge accounts :
    1. All user's payments will be moved to new user.
    2. Old user will be deleted.
  13. miso

Can you give me more details on that scenario in terms of users A and B - user A has payments, exists in the system, user B was recently imported, has no payments on his account. I want to merge user B with user A. Does that mean simply that during the merge user A is untouched and user B gets deleted (as he had no payments)?
  14. alex

Yes, exactly.