Membership/Subscription PLUS 'A La Carte'

Discussion in 'Pre-Sales Questions' started by jaceman, Nov 25, 2007.

1. jaceman

jaceman New Member

I am ready to order aMember if it can do what I need to accomplish, thus far I continue striking out. I simply can't find any ecommerce solution ready to rock n' roll in the way I need.

I am preparing to launch an information site. My text/graphic tutorials are to be completely free for my users. Yet, I would like to also have premium video content that is NOT free. For these videos, I want to provide my customers the ability to purchase the videos individually (i.e. one-time, two-time, three-time, etc. download) or to pay a subscription fee which gives them a username/password that they can use to login to a directory and download everything I offer, during the course of their subscription, to their heart's content.

Can it be done with aMember Pro? If yes, what's involved and what do I need?
  2. jmaduk

jmaduk Member

That's what I'm doing with amember!

The community portion of the site is free, registration is take care of with joomla/community builder which creates a username in amember using amembers community builder plugin for joomla. When the client is ready they update thier account and purchase acess to video licenses - mine are 30 day recurring licenses.

Amember is protecting the license files.

Works like a charm!

take a look at http://www.mysmallbizu.com if you want to see how it works.
  3. jaceman

jaceman New Member

I don't use nor plan on using Joomla... although I really didn't understand your response anyway. You spoke way over my little head.
  4. jmaduk

jmaduk Member

Sorry - jumped too far ahead.

You can accomplish what you want to do by using amember to protect the video license files.

How many videos are you planning on having? How much text and graphics content?

Depending on how much content you have you might want to consider a CMS - Content Management Software like Joomla to manage all of the files and pages instead of doing things manually.
  5. jaceman

jaceman New Member

I won't be doing thing manually, I'm just not using Joomla. I don't like Joomla at all.

The site is using WordPress and I will have a premium members forum (probably SMF, though I might use phpbb 3.0 now that it's out)... amember will control the forum, but I also want to be able to sell the videos standalone.

The videos will also be hosted in the Premium Forum too, so anyone who is a member gets them free. Yet, if you don't want to subscribe I want to provide the option to download the videos only.
  6. davidm1

davidm1 aMember User & Partner

I think what you're looking for is a shopping cart plugin of some sort, that will allow people to buy content (products) a la cart as you said.

Alex has hinted that 4.0 will have a shopping cart built in but we are all anxiously waiting to hear a launch date.

In the meantime...
    I'm not familiar with integrating OSCommerce or x-Cart, but think that's the way you need to go.

David
  7. jaceman

jaceman New Member

Thanks David... Hopefully I won't have to wait for 4.0 -- I'd like to start making money sooner rather than later, obviously. That being said, when I look at the plugins available for purchase one of them is known as "One Time Download."

Do you know much about it? Would it work for my purposes?
  8. davidm1

davidm1 aMember User & Partner

Alex could answer that better than I could, but I believe that plug in is to limit the number of times a product can be downloaded.

I think oscommerce has a digital download plugin, so think you should ask alex about oscommerce integration.

David