Members mistakenly resubscribing to same server after failed payment

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by kellerwade, Dec 23, 2015.

1. kellerwade

kellerwade aMember Pro Customer

I know is a common issue with merchants who use Pay Pal for recurring payments... when someone's Pay Pal account doesn't have sufficient funds and a credit card is expired, Pay Pal will try again in three days and then again three days. However, when this happens, the member's password is deactivated until payment goes through. Very often these members will get confused or frustrated and just sign up again within three days. But then Pay Pal will renew them after three days because they now have sufficient funds or an updated credit card, and now there are two concurrent payments each month for the same service.

Is there a recommended way to stop this from happening within aMember's settings, such as:

-A "grace period" setting to allow someone to remain an active member during the rebilling attempts.

-Perhaps the "Disallow Ordering If..." setting that would work here if we didn't allow someone with a certain sub to get another same sub?

-Perhaps the "Subscription Limit" plug in would work here if configured correctly?

Are there any tried to proven methods any of you have used or Caesar or someone else with aMember would recommend?
  2. robw

robw CGI-Central Partner

I feel your pain... it can be a major headache, especially on really large membership sites with monthly PayPal subscriptions.

Limiting subscriptions (e.g. via "Disallow" option or subscription limit plugin) doesn't work in this case, as the aMember access expires - allowing them to re-order - even though the PayPal subscription is still technically "active" pending updated payment info.

What I've done on some of my large sites is to tweak the invoice model so that any time a member renews/sets up new subscription using paypal, it automatically starts from the old one.

It's not a perfect solution either, and there are still overlapping payments, but at least the access periods get accounted properly - i.e. if two payments go through, the access is extended two months, rather than giving an overlap.

I find that customers are generally happier that way, but your mileage may vary :)

Cheers
    Rob
  3. jmartin55

jmartin55 aMember Pro Customer

Amember can fix this: Instead of canceling a user when subscription_failed they should only cancel if subscription_canceled. When subscription_failed they should leave the user as is, because paypal will attempt to rebill 3 days later, and will make several more attempts before automatically cancelling the subscription and sending a subscription_canceled IPN.