Members Can Login But Cannot Access Subscription

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by basichip, Sep 21, 2008.

1. basichip

basichip New Member

Something strange is happening with my usually very reliable aMember program. I have detected a pattern, here is what I have so far...

Day One
    Member purchases a subscription.
    Member successfully logs in.
    Member successfully accesses active subscription.

Day Two
    Member successfully logs in.
    Member is denied access to his active subscription. Username / password rejected.

Is something happening overnight (midnight) to cause this?

Clicking Rebuild DB does not help. However...

By going to aMember CP/Edit Payment Subscription and adding a day to the Subscription End (even though it is an active subscription), then clicking save...

The member can now access his subscription.

Can somebody please help me with this?

Thank you!
  2. skippybosco

skippybosco CGI-Central Partner Staff Member

How many users is this happening to?

Have you tried logging on with the user's credentials that is reporting the problem?
  3. basichip

basichip New Member

All of them, I am pretty sure. Fortunately, most get what they pay for on Day One, but if someone waits overnight to access, they get rejected.

Yes, I login under their name and pass to check. That's how I found that yesterday the member had access and today they do not. I recall seeing something occurs at midnight (time zone?) and perhaps this is the key.

Thanks for your reply.
  4. tomfra

tomfra Member

Check the .htpasswd file located in /amember/data/. From the description, it seems there is some kind of a periodic task running on the server probably on midnight, and this task makes it impossible for the system to either read the file by setting incorrect permissions and/or changing the owner of the file.

However, based on the described behaviour, I believe the file gets simply deleted by that task. When you add the one day to the subscription period or do something that would cause some change in the .htpasswd file, the file is, probably, recreated from scratch based on the member data stored in the database. It does not matter which user you update, such change would recreate the whole file - making the access work for all users again.

Now the question is why there would be such a task doing this nonsense. I know only of one such software. The Microsoft Frontpage extension. It seems that the periodic job is re-enabling this Frontpage extension on your server. If you are on a shared server, which you probably are, it is possible that the webhosting company caused this without even letting you know.

Or there may be another reason - perhaps another script on your webhosting account causing this.

Although I am just guessing, I believe this is indeed the problem.

Tomas
  5. basichip

basichip New Member

Thanks Tomas, I'll bet you are on the right track. Finally an answer I can sink my teeth into. Much more helpful than support's "run a Cron Job." I waited over 24 hours for that? Gee, thanks!

Adding the day to the Subscription End only affects that one subscription, does that change your theory on what's going on here?

It sounds like it is my webhost that I should be contacting for help and this may have nothing to do with aMember, correct?

This all happened out of the blue. For almost a year, it's been hassle free. Once I get it all sorted out, I'll update this thread.

Thanks again,

Ford
  6. tomfra

tomfra Member

Yes, that does indeed change the theory. But I would still check the .htpasswd file and see if everything is correct with it. You can download the file via FTP, look up the username of the user having the problem and see if the password is in there too. The passwords are in crypted form there, so they are not readable, but just to see that the format is the same as with the other usernames, and mainly that the username is actually there.

I am not saying this has to be the reason, but I'd start with that.

Tomas
  7. davidgjohnson

davidgjohnson New Member

Any update on this?