Mapping Amember to Wordpress Fields

Discussion in 'Integration' started by slinky, Dec 26, 2011.

1. slinky

slinky Member

I have "first name" and "last name" in amember for user registration -- how can I map those to the corresponding Wordpress fields? This would seem to be a no-brainer. Still using V3 for a while, hope to use V4 pretty soon. :)
  2. davidm1

davidm1 aMember User & Partner

Using the wordpress plugin?

David
  3. slinky

slinky Member

Yes - I'm using V3 at the moment and I've been doing tons of complicated stuff it's not supposed to do (iframing, mobile templates, etc.) and it works perfectly except for this. It's strange that the data isn't being passed over to wordpress, at least I'm not seeing it. I wonder what fields are passed as standard for each of these plugins - for a while vBulletin wasn't passing the IP address either. I've just updated all the plugins and I think vB is registering the IP but you can't see it as an admin on the front end. Wordpress does not seem to be mapping the first name and last name fields for registration. Those two are still stock I'm sure.
  4. alexander

alexander Administrator Staff Member

Yes plugins should pass that info. So wordpress should set user name, and vBulletin should set user's IP.
    If this does not happen, contact us in helpdesk we will check what can be wrong.
  5. slinky

slinky Member

Alexander - I see the problem, thanks. I wanted to make the First Name and Last Name field optional and it's required. I asked this question a long time ago and supposedly a later version would have an on/off switch to make these variables not required. Did that ever make it into v3?

If I can't do that, ideally I'd like to find the way to say "if the user doesn't enter anything into the user name field, place into the field dummy text" and that will solve the problem. I just can't find a way to evaluate what was entered into the field. Below is the dummy text that works.

<input class="required" type="hidden" name="name_f" value="Mysite" size="15" /><input type="hidden" class="required" name="name_l" value="Member" size="15" />
  6. alexander

alexander Administrator Staff Member

Sorry not sure I understood. You want to pass user name to wordpress but do not ask this on signup page? How this should work?
  7. slinky

slinky Member

Alexander - First Name and Last Name are required in version 3. You can't turn them off. Let's say I'm running a medical advice forum and people don't want to give real names? I'd prefer to turn these fields off and stick with user names. If you don't fill this out you get an error that real name wasn't submitted.

As always, thanks for fielding these questions.