Make specific folder free for guests, not just members?

Discussion in 'Setting-up protection' started by sam_potasznik, Mar 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sam_potasznik

sam_potasznik New Member

Hi all,

Here's a high-level overview of what I'm trying to do: I am running an online magazine using aMember. Every so often I'll post a new "issue" of the magazine to its own subfolder and then protect that folder. For example, I have one issue of the magazine at www.wideopengames.com/start and another at www.wideopengames.com/imperfection. That is fine and working great so far!

However, I'd really like to make a cover page for each issue of the magazine available to all site guests, not just "members." I'm having trouble figuring out how to do this. I thought I could put the cover page at /start/cover (and /imperfection/cover) and then make a new record for the folder with access level set to "free." Unfortunately, I can only set the access level to free for "all registered customers" as seen below.

FolderAccessLevel.PNG

Is it possible to make a folder free for all visitors to the site? Is it because this folder is already inside of a protected folder? A really mess work-around would be to make all other folders within an issue protected individually (such as /start/article1, /start/article2, and so on) but that is a giant pain, and I'd rather avoid it if possible! I also thought I could simply make the index.html page of each issue (/start/index.html for example) free for all guests, but that doesn't seem to be possible, either.

Is there an easier way to accomplish what I'm trying to do here?

Thanks so much,
    Sam
  2. caesar

caesar aMember Pro Developer Staff Member

Hello,

You need to either use separate folder for free content or put file '.htaccess' with code:
    Code:
    RewriteEngine Off
    to your 'cover' folder to unprotect content within this folder.

Best Regards.
  3. sam_potasznik

sam_potasznik New Member

the .htacces trick worked like a charm! Thanks, Caesar!
  4. caesar

caesar aMember Pro Developer Staff Member

You are welcome!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.