Loads of questions

Discussion in 'Pre-Sales Questions' started by noteme, May 9, 2006.

1. noteme

noteme New Member

Hey, I'm looking into buying this script, and I've got a few questions:

1. First of all, I will be selling subscriptions on the site. There will be options for either a single day of content (the current day or a previous day's content) or for all content in that category. Is aMember able to handle this? The issue is that the content will be posted daily, so will aMember be able to dynamically update the subscriptions options for that day (and future days) as well as make the new content available to people who have subscribed to the entire bundle package?

2. I am worried about the content being printed many times/copied. I have already looked into this as it has been discussed many times on this board, and have devised a solution to stop copying.

A) My question is, is there a way to stop users from saving the file onto their hardrive? I know that a temp file is saved automatically, but is there a way to stop them from saving the file directly?

B) In addition, is there any way of aMember limited the number of times a specific file is printed?

3. Is aMember easily customizable in terms of design and layout? I love the features and have extensive HTML and design background, but my knowledge is a bit outdated and I've got no knowledge of PHP.

I've got more questions, but thats it for now. Thanks in advance!
  2. alex

alex aMember Pro Customer Staff Member

1. aMember can restrict user access to any folder / file based on subscriptions which user have. There should be some third-party script that for example
    /content/today.php will display only today items,
    /content/all.php will display all articles.
    It is out of aMember, aMember does not try to do content management, because there is a lot of scripts that do that better.

2. It is completely impossible to prevent for HTML pages. If someone says you it is possible, he does not understand or he lies.

3. You don't need any PHP knowledge, aMember is 100% templates-based and all templates are almost usual html files.
  3. noteme

noteme New Member

Thanks.

In response to your response 2, is there any way to display content on a website and have it impossible to copy then? For example, maybe making it a pdf, or something other than basic html?
  4. Euan

Euan New Member

Yes you could but you would need to add the relevant security settings to it and remember than people could still download it, etc and if they really wanted to possibly find a method of copying it.
  5. alex

Yes, using PDF or some propietary E-Books format, it is possible.
  6. Jim R

Jim R New Member

I use a script that disables the Right Click on the mouse, as well as one that doesn't allow a user to highlight text. I have not gone so far as to keep people saving the page to disk, but that script exists. However when you save a page with code I have on it, the page you save still won't let your highlight text and right click. None of this is full proof, but it's effective to keep novices from ripping content from your page.
  7. alex

Jim, can you publish software titles which you use?

2 noteme: it is protection ONLY against novices. It will not be any trouble for me (for example) to save your page and publish it as clear HTML.
  8. Jim R

Jim R New Member

I'm using Dreamweave to do all my webpublishing, but I didn't use their behaviors to create any of it, but I'm sure it can be done in that manner. (Shoot, I just learned how to use behaviors. When I'm not adventurous I'm slow. :) ) The code I picked up for I searched for via Google.

The code dealing with disabling 'select-text' from Dynamicdrive.com is:

Code:
    <script language="JavaScript1.2">

//Disable select-text script (IE4+, NS6+)- By Andy Scott
    //Exclusive permission granted to Dynamic Drive to feature script
    //Visit http://www.dynamicdrive.com for this script

function disableselect(e){
    return false
    }

function reEnable(){
    return true
    }

//if IE4+
    document.onselectstart=new Function ("return false")

//if NS6
    if (window.sidebar){
    document.onmousedown=disableselect
    document.onclick=reEnable
    }
    </script>

The code for disabling the right click from Dynamicdrive.com is:

Code:
    <script language=JavaScript>
    <!--

//Disable right click script III- By Renigade (renigade@mediaone.net)
    //For full source code, visit http://www.dynamicdrive.com

var message="";
    ///////////////////////////////////
    function clickIE() {if (document.all) {(message);return false;}}
    function clickNS(e) {if 
    (document.layers||(document.getElementById&&!document.all)) {
    if (e.which==2||e.which==3) {(message);return false;}}}
    if (document.layers) 
    {document.captureEvents(Event.MOUSEDOWN);document.onmousedown=clickNS;}
    else{document.onmouseup=clickNS;document.oncontextmenu=clickIE;}

document.oncontextmenu=new Function("return false")
    // --> 
    </script>

I was surprised to learn when you save my pages the scripts still keep people from accessing the text for easy transfer. It makes sense, as the scripts still stay on the page, but I didn't put it together right away.

I actually got an email saying my site wasn't user friendly because the user couldn't copy text. I traced the email back to my competitor. :D
  9. Euan

Euan New Member

A user can go and View Page Source and get the code that way.

I have used those on the past, it puts of novices but anyone who wants it can still get it.