Links between pages

Discussion in 'Setting-up protection' started by gregprogolf, Jun 17, 2012.

1. gregprogolf

gregprogolf New Member

I dont really understand how to link my non protected folders to my protected content folders. I have built my site in Dreamweaver and have linked my index.html page to my members content.

However when the site is uploaded, whenever I try to navigate from my members content back to my index.html page, it try's to access them via this route http://www.websitename.com/memberscontent/index.html".

In other words, it try's to access this page via my members content folder rather than going straight to "http://www.websitename.com/index.html".

To counteract this, I have written the page address for the link into Dreamweaver rather than just link up the files. However Dreamweaver recognizes this as a broken link because it has the same url as the internal site.

It seems to work this way, but I am worried about the reliability of the link.

Could anyone please enlighten me as to the most straight forward way to do this please.
  2. robw

robw CGI-Central Partner

Sounds like you have written the links as relative, rather than absolute.

This is relative (looks for the file in the same folder):

HTML:
    <a href="index.html">my Link</a>
    This is absolute (the / tells the browser to go back to the domain root):

HTML:
    <a href="/index.html">my Link</a>
    Cheers
    Rob
  3. gregprogolf

gregprogolf New Member

Hi Rob,

Thank you very much for your reply. I think I have sorted it. I have just manually entered the link address for each page rather than use the Dreamweaver drag and drop tool to link up the files.
    Dreamweaver still recognizes them as broken links, but it all seems to work on my ftp server.

Thank you for your help

Greg