Language files

Discussion in 'Pre-Sales Questions' started by secretman, Jan 5, 2006.

1. secretman

secretman New Member

Hello,
    is available italian language for this script? :)
  2. alex

alex aMember Pro Customer Staff Member

Unfortunately, aMember is not multi-language. We are working to change it.
  3. Gammelgaard

Gammelgaard New Member

Hi Alex,

It sounds interesting - your work on the multi-language part. What are your hopes regarding a date, where we can try your multi-language version?

Thanks,

Jens
  4. robdavies

robdavies New Member

what would it take?

Hi,
    I'm in the process of adding language translation on my site from English to Dutch and German.
    At the moment this is offered simply by using babelfish automated translations, but I'm about to start work recreating a static version of the site in each language.
    I need to do this largely because the on-the-fly translated pages are readable, but not interactive. By this I mean a viewer can navigate around the site and read it, no problem (although the navigation links do some interesting dancing - take a look at www.in2networking.com and see what I mean - the forum link at the end generally jumps to the front, although the icons don't move - very odd) and they can even read the forum and it's entries (I'm using phpbb currently not integrated) and they can access the signup page, but if they try to post a message or actually sign up, they just get an error message

Code:
    We were not able to translate this Web page: 
    http://www.in2networking.com/amember/signup.php#e
    Tip: Check to make sure you provided a valid web address..
    Now, I understand this is beyond the scope of your support and out of your control, and I also wanted to make clear this is in no way reflective of the quality of amember, when attempting to post to the forum translated into Dutch, I get a translated error message

Code:
    Informatie 

Geen post gespecificeerde wijze 
    Cool, but not particularly useful. So it's definately a function of the translation engine that makes the scripts stop working.

That being said, I need a work around, and I don't know anything about altering phpbb yet, whereas I've already fumbled around in the amember code with reasonable success. So guess where I'm starting ;-)

First things first, I'm going to recreate the structure of the site in each language, the Dutch in a folder nl/ and the german in a folder gr/ (I know I probably should move the english into a folder en/ but that would just mess with me SE rankings soooo much I haven't the heart, so it's staying put, at least for now.)

I'm guessing the easiest way to handle the products and subscriptions will be to create new products for each language using lots of negative number ranges, although ideally each product would only exist once and the language text be determined by a cookie set by the user choosing the language of the site.

So after all that I come to my question. How do I manage all this multi-lingualness with amember?

1. How do I get amember to set and read a cookie?
    2. which files will need altering to read this cookie and translate the test accordingly? (I know the signup and member pages are obvious ones, but there must be others
    3. How could I use the plugin interface to create a table with entries for each language and a variable name to do this
    4. Or is there some better way?

I'm not bothered about doing the work myself, I just need a clear idea of what needs doing and which is the best way to go about it. I'm sorry, but people have been asking this question in here for four years now and there's still no sign of progress. I can't wait.
  5. alex

If it would be quick to implement multi-language support in aMember, it would be already done.
    Unfortunately English strings are located in almost all PHP files and inside templates.
  6. Gammelgaard

Gammelgaard New Member

Hi Alex,

Could you give an approx estimate to the date when you have a multi-language version out for us?

Or at least if it will be version included in the next upgrade?

Thanks,

BR
    Jens
  7. alex

Jens,
    OK - we now have resources and ability to get this. Next major release of aMember - 2.5.0 will be multi-language. I hope it will happen within 1-2 months or even earlier.
  8. Gammelgaard

Gammelgaard New Member

Alex,
    Looking forward for the 2.50.
    Greetings
    Jens
  9. Gammelgaard

Gammelgaard New Member

Hi Axels...

I look forward to see your 2.5.0 this weekend :)

- With the multilanguage possiblities.
  10. joris

joris New Member

Dutch language file

Hello,
    There's now version 3.
    Does it have a dutch language file ?
  11. alex

Yes, it will be included into 3.0.7, but you can get it right now (contact us via helpdesk)