Joomla Multiple Sites - A Little Different

Discussion in 'Pre-Sales Questions' started by sscalia, May 24, 2007.

1. sscalia

sscalia New Member

I have a client who wants to setup a centralized user database (like AMember!) and have Joomla minisites (think franchises) running off this database, but with their own Joomla Content databases.

So, centralized user server (aMember) but Joomla sites with I assume the aMember plugin... would this work? Diffrent domains, different joomla installs, all accessing the aMember database.

Would this work?

Let me know 99% ready to buy.
  2. sscalia

sscalia New Member

There doesn't need to be unified login, by the way. Just have them register on an aMember domain, and have that user info propigated to all of the joomla sites "linked" to that aMember install.
  3. sscalia

sscalia New Member

Just to make sure I'm clear;

Someone wants to register.

They go to aMember, Pay, get registered.

They return to a Joomla site which has a plugin (amembers plugin) that links to the central user database.

They use the login on this domain that they created earlier.

They login; it works.

Is this possible?
  4. draj

draj New Member

Yes, it will work, although I have tried with different domains & different accounts on THE SAME SERVER.

Most likely it should also work on different physical servers as - after my feature request - Alex changed the entire plugin architecture. Thereafter all the modified plugins connects with atleast different mysql account with different privilages and the connection entries also have a possibility to fill in hostname + database + ... in there. So yes, theoritically it MUST work.

In your case, the following will happen:

http://www.Register.com > For registration

http://www.login1.com > for login on joomla site on server1.host.com
    http://www.login2.com > for login on xoops site on server2.host.com

So, did I add something to your remaining 1%?

Feel free to ask here as I find the docs not good. (Better is ofcourse the 24 hours support garantee, which "normally" works!)
  5. deafdavid

deafdavid Member

Draj, I don't know if "shity" means different in UK than in USA. Here in USA, it's more of bad and negative way of saying thing. I'm sure you didn't mean by that. I'm sure you're trying to say docs or manual are limited and need some work.

I do know Alex and aMember Team would love to have some volunteers to help and revise Wiki's Manual. See thread #7 from Alex at: http://www.amember.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4845

I haven't had chance to review and make notes which need to be improve (I'm not a good writer by the way). Hopefully this summer, I can start working on my aMember and use Manual for tech assistance -- then I'll make a note for aMember Team to work on improving the manual.

Dave
  6. draj

draj New Member

Hi Dave,
    Uh, well thats not what I meant. I meant thats not enough work or not so informative, but certainly not in a negative sense which you pointed out!
    (I will then change the org. post to prevent confusion...But I could not change in your post quoting...) Thanks for pointing it out...
  7. deafdavid

deafdavid Member

Draj,

I knew you didn't mean that way -- we're here to help each other and educate each other. Sometime a word that being used by British can confuse me (I'm deaf and I lipread well depending on who I am talking with). For example, a friend who is from British asked me about "flat" and I didn't have a clue what he was referring to when I lipread him. So I asked him to wrote that word and I knew right away what he was referring to.

But keep up with your good work on posting your tips here on aMember Forum.

But seriously, do consider help out aMember Team with what need to be revised in Wiki's Manual.

Perhaps one of these days, we'll talk online via AIM.
  8. draj

draj New Member

Hi,
    Thanks.
    If Alex would give me an administrator right to his Wiki, then you know what I would do the first thing?
    DELETE the entire doc.

I would really like to see the entire restructuring of it.

It is really so primitive in making people understand the very fundamental and very basic.

I saw amember when it was launched the first time. I really did never ever understand its concept. The docs were not enough explainatory or clear, if I refrain using some more explosive words.

Had I understood it several years ago, I would be very happy throughout all those years using it. I could see how many nightmares I have had in the mean time NOT USING it.

A good businessmen is good because he can communicate to a buyer. Alex did not communicate enough with his readme, which I am willing to post it here. His method of communication did not come clear to me.

The same thing is happening in this forum here and that makes me mad to soo others getting into the same fumbling situations.

People are asking really very fundamental questions, not because they are really stupid but because they did not understand. So I took the oppurtunity to write some messages "while drinking a cup of tea"!

Alex did come up with a very nice piece of software architecture.
    I like his work, not just because I am now using it, but because I really understand creativity and respect it, regardless of its use. I know that geniuses are not too communicative. The documentation does not speak about those fundamental creative concepts, ie.e. not in the manner in which or how people would understand reather very clearly. The factor of language barrier requires a pardon to this aspect criticism.
  9. alex

alex aMember Pro Customer Staff Member

draj, could you PM me your Skype or ICQ#?