Joomla Integration

Discussion in 'Installation' started by sircal, Dec 30, 2012.

1. sircal

sircal New Member

I've just purchased amember and hope to get it working with Joomla. Right now I have my Joomla site located in the website root (public_html). The amember documentation called "Integration Overview - Please Read First" says that the CMS (they talk specifically of Wordpress) should be placed in a subfolder and likewise amemeber should be installed in another subfolder.

Can anyone with amember/Joomla experience tell me if the use of subfolders is really necessary? I really do not like the idea of having Joomla in a subfolder as it will mean that my home page url would have to include a clumsy subfolder. I have read there are ways to adjust for this by using script in htacccess or by telling cpanel of the root change, but there are about as many posts saying these methods either can't or don't work for Joomla. In one post a Joomla expert stated that to use a subfolder and then try to adjust for it will give rise to "a world of pain"!

So I have not yet started on the installation process and wonder what to do. Can anyone here please advise? Many thanks. Derek
  2. davidm1

davidm1 aMember User & Partner

You can put joomla in the root directory and amember in a subdirectory.

David