Is it possible to have multiple memberships using the same email address?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by dannam, Feb 20, 2015.

1. dannam

dannam aMember Pro Customer

URL: http://capitalcotillion.com/cc-members/signup

Scenario: A mom wants to purchase an annual membership for each of her 2 or 3 children.
    The User is associated with each child's name -
    Billy (3rd grade)
    Bob (5th grade)
    Joe (7th grade)

Problem: Even though the Users and Usernames can be unique, I can't make aMember allow multiple memberships for each of the kids because the mom has one email address. When I try to sign up kid #2, it says there is already a user with this email.

Any Help would be greatly appreciated... this is a biggie problem that I cannot figure out a way around.
    Thank you!
  2. thehpmc

thehpmc Member

Can you not assign each child's account to mums email?
  3. dannam

Unless I have configured something incorrectly, the email address can only appear in the database once and can only be associated with one user. So, only one sibling can use the mum's email. The other two are denied.
  4. thehpmc

thehpmc Member

Yes sorry for that I was thinking about more than one product for single email, but all user names would be the same.

A reply to another problem on forum suggested the following as a work around. The idea seems to give each sibling a unique email address but any emails to them are handled by the main email address (hope that makes sense).

5. dannam

Thanks so much for responding. It actually confirms the track we were exploring...

Gmail accounts can act as catchall emails if you add +a-number. So if the mum's email address was janedoe@gmail.com, for the second sibling she could enter her email as janedoe+1@gmail.com and the emails would still go to her, but should satisfy amember's parameter of a unique email address per user.

For mums that don't have a gmail address, we have created a "catch all" email address with a different domain, so the mum can enter janedoe2@domain2.com for the purpose of registering her 2nd sibling, and janedoe3@domain2.com to register her third sibling.

We have yet to see this working in action, and it's not the most elegant of work-arounds, but I think it will suffice in the pinch I'm in.

aMember, if you're reading... there are many scenarios where one person needs to purchase multiple subscriptions. Would love to see that on your enhancement list.

Cheers!